Home Team Determination
For first-round games, the highest-seeded team shall be designated as the home team. In subsequent games, the home team shall be determined according to a formula applied by the games committee.
In determining which of two teams in any game will be the home team, the games committee or the NCAA site representatives uses the following guidelines:
- The institution that has been the home team the fewer number of times in that particular tournament shall be designated the home team.
- If the two teams are equal in this respect but unequal in the number of times they were the visitor, then the team that has been the visitor more often will be designated the home team.
- If the two teams are equal in the number of times that they have been home and visitor, the games committee or the NCAA site representative(s) shall observe the following procedures in the order stated:
a. If the two teams have met previously in that particular tournament, the visitor in the previous game shall be the home team in the game in question.
b. The team that was visitor in its preceding game shall be the home team, unless both teams were visitors in their preceding games.
- New for 2023, if the two teams are different seeds, the better seeded team will be designated as the home team.
- If the above procedures do not resolve the matter, the home team shall be determined by a coin toss. The coin toss will be held on the field immediately after the game that causes the situation to develop and both coaches are to be in attendance. The higher seeded team can determine whether they will call the coin toss, or defer the call to their opponent.