To provide students from diverse underrepresented backgrounds with an opportunity to gain experience in various fields within intercollegiate athletics. Our goal is to educate and prepare future athletics leaders to transition into professional roles.
We chart a path to greater opportunities by:
• Providing an invaluable experience which leads to opportunities in athletic administration.
• Creating a pipeline for Graduate Assistants to continue their careers in athletic administration.
• Diversifying the field of candidates in athletics administration.
• Cultivating a community of excellence by preparing future leaders to embrace principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion within their work.
• Be accepted and enrolled full time (9 hours) in one of the LSU’s master’s programs beginning in the fall
• Requirement to work 20 hours per week
• Show a strong interest in a career in collegiate athletics
• Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
• Complete and submit the application on the athletics department portal.
• Attach resume and cover letter.
• Attach responses to the application questions.
Candidates will rank their top six areas of interest from the identified units. The selection committee will do its best to accommodate the desires of the candidates based on their identified interests and department availability.
Applications will be reviewed by the RISE Selection Committee comprised of athletics department staff members. Selected applicants will participate in virtual interviews with the selection committee. Graduate Assistants will be selected based on their experience, extracurricular activities, application, interview, and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in athletic administration.
• Will rotate through four units during their first year of graduate school. During their second year, graduate assistants will select one area of focus from the previous year and remain with that unit for the duration of the program.
• Will be responsible for submitting brief assessments at the end of each rotation.
• Will be evaluated at the end of their first year.
• Must receive a satisfactory evaluation to maintain their position within the department.
• Must be enrolled as full-time students throughout the graduate assistantship.
• Must remain in good academic standing and maintain a cumulative GPA of a 3.0.
The graduate assistantship will cover tuition and fees and include a per semester stipend.
Rotation 1: August 21 – October 6
Rotation 2: October 9 – December 8
Rotation 3: January 16 – March 8
Rotation 4: March 11 – May 10
Application due date: May 31, 2023
Interviews begin: Week of June 12, 2023
If you have any questions, please contact Ashleigh Clare-Kearney Thigpen (email@example.com).