Men's Tennis Picks Up Two Wins In Season Opener
BATON ROUGE— The LSU men’s tennis team started their 2022 dual season off with a pair of wins over Incarnate Word on Saturday afternoon at the LSU Tennis Complex.
LSU started the day off going a perfect 3-for-3 in doubles. Nick Watson and Ben Koch got the first win of the Tigers season with a 6-2 victory over Warren Fulgenzi and Joao Sasso. Kent Hunter and Boris Kozlov clinched the doubles point for the Tigers after taking down Ivan Smith and Tomas Riche, 6-3. Graduate transfers and the No. 45 duo of Vlad Lobak and Gabriel Diaz Freire defeated UIW’s duo, 7-6(4), to complete the doubles sweep.
In singles, LSU took a 3-0 lead after Diaz Freire (6-0, 6-3) and Boris Kozlov (6-4, 6-1) made quick work of their opponents. Incarnate Word got on the scoreboard after Marwin Kralemann defeated Vlad Lobak on court one, 6-2, 6-3. Grad transfer Kent Hunter picked up his first singles win in an LSU uniform and clinched the match after defeating Pietro Perego, 7-6(3), 6-3. The teams played the match out and Incarnate Word put one more point on the board after Joao Sasso defeated LSU’s Benjamin Ambrosio in a third set tiebreak, (3-6, 6-4, 1-0(9)). The match concluded after Ben Koch defeated Warren Fulgenzi Jr. in three sets, (6-0, 3-6, 6-4).
LSU carried their momentum from the morning doubles session over, once again going a perfect 3-for-3. The Tigers rolled out the same duos, the only difference was the order they won matches in. Watson/Koch were first on the board with a 6-3 victory and Hunter/Kozlov clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 victory. Diaz Freire/Lobak won in yet another tiebreak, 7-6(3).
In singles, the Tigers had one change in their six with Joao Graca replacing Ben Koch in the lineup. It was all business for LSU as they quickly made it 4-0 with three straight-set wins. Benjamin Ambrosio got the scoring started with a 6-4, 6-1 victory on court six. Diaz Freire picked up his fourth overall win of the day with a 6-2, 6-2 victory. Kent Hunter clinched the match with a 7-6(1), 6-0 win. The teams played the rest of the match out, just as they did earlier in the day. Marwin Kralemann put Incarnate Word on the board once again with a 6-4, 7-6(4) victory. The Tigers ran the table the rest of the way after Boris Kozlov (6-7(4), 6-3, 1-0(7), and Joao Graca (6-4, 2-6, 6-2) were victorious.
The Tigers will head to Columbia, South Carolina for ITA Kickoff Weekend on Saturday, Jan. 29. LSU will face SEC foe South Carolina as well as Duke/Liberty that Sunday.
LSU 5, Incarnate Word 2
- Marwin Kralemann (UIW) def. Vlad Lobak (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
- Kent Hunter (LSU) def. Pietro Perego (UIW) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
- Gabriel Diaz Freire (LSU) def. Tomas Riche (UIW) 6-0, 6-3
- Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Rafal Bednarczuk (UIW) 6-4, 6-1
- Joao Sasso (UIW) def. Benjamin Ambrosio (LSU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9)
- Ben Koch (LSU) def. Warren Fulgenzi Jr. (UIW) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
- #45 Vlad Lobak/Gabriel Diaz Freire (LSU) def. Rafal Bednarczuk/Marwin Kralemann (UIW) 7-6 (6-4)
- Kent Hunter/Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Ivan Smith/Tomas Riche (UIW) 6-3
- Nick Watson/Ben Koch (LSU) def. Warren Fulgenzi Jr./Joao Sasso (UIW) 6-2
Incarnate Word 0-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,4,1,2,5,6)
Official: Richie Weaver
- Marwin Kralemann (UIW) def. Vlad Lobak (LSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
- Kent Hunter (LSU) def. Arnau Miralles (UIW) 7-6 (7-1), 6-0
- Joao Graca (LSU) def. Pietro Perego (UIW) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
- Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Tomas Riche (UIW) 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
- Gabriel Diaz Freire (LSU) def. Rafal Bednarczuk (UIW) 6-2, 6-2
- Benjamin Ambrosio (LSU) def. Joao Sasso (UIW) 6-4, 6-1
- #45 Gabriel Diaz Freire/Vlad Lobak (LSU) def. Rafal Bednarczuk/Marwin Kralemann (UIW) 7-6 (0-3)
- Kent Hunter/Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Ivan Smith/Tomas Riche (UIW) 6-2
- Nick Watson/Ben Koch (LSU) def. Warren Fulgenzi Jr./Joao Sasso (UIW) 6-3
Incarnate Word 0-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,5,2,1,4)
Official: Richie Weaver