Tryout dates and clinics for the 2022-23 LSU Cheerleading Squad will be announced in the spring of 2022.
LSU Spirit is looking for committed team members who exemplify athleticism through their skill level, fitness, health, and work ethic. Our team is continuously in the public eye and is expected to represent LSU by maintaining an athletic/professional image.
About the Team
Commitment to a full year of participation is mandatory. Cheerleaders participate at all home and away football games, home Volleyball matches, Men’s and Women’s basketball games and home Gymnastics meets. The cheerleaders also travel to postseason football and basketball tournaments as assigned by athletic administration. Cheerleaders participate in additional athletic department events, campus and community service activities during the year. Participation in UCA College Nationals will be determined on a yearly basis. There is not a weight or height restriction.
2022-23 CHEERLEADING AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
PHASE 1: Application Process
- To be considered, your tryout application must be submitted no later than March 14th, 2022 at 6pm.
- Coaches clinics will be held March 13 & 27. Invitations to attend in person tryouts will be awarded via email upon evaluation at these clinics. If you cannot attend one of our spring clinics, you are required to submit an official tryout video no later than March 27th, 2022 at 6pm to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please email email@example.com for video submission instructions.
- You will be notified no later than March 28th, 2022 if you’ve made it to Phase 2 of Tryouts
Gameday Tryout Material – Click here
Complete the LSU Spirit Squad Application
PHASE 2: “In-person” Tryout
- Invite-only round
- April 8-10th at Carl Maddox Field-house
Who is eligible to tryout?
Current LSU students …
• Must have a minimum 2.0 GPA to be eligible
• Must be enrolled full-time (12 hours) to be eligible
• Must be in good disciplinary and academic standing with the university
Transfer students …
• Must have a minimum 2.0 GPA to be eligible to cheer (check transfer requirements of the University. GPA requirements change from year to year)
• Must be disciplinarily and academically eligible to return to the university from which they are transferring. Acceptance letter from LSU not necessary. If you have not been accepted it is OK to send your proof that you have applied.
Incoming freshmen ARE eligible to apply by submitting …
• A copy of LSU acceptance letter. If you have not been accepted yet, it is OK to send your proof that you have applied.
Applicants will receive an email verification that your application has been received. (If you do not receive an email confirmation within 48 hours please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Females: a long waisted sports top and soffe style gym shorts is recommended.
Males: a polo style shirt tucked into gym shorts.
Please wear LSU school colors or black, white and grey.
HAIR & MAKEUP
Females: Curled/Teased hair. It is preferred that sides are pulled back and tied with a ribbon. Makeup should be of natural tones.
Males: We are looking for a professional professional appearance. Hair should be neatly cut and combed and no facial hair.
How can I prepare for LSU Cheer tryouts?
We are looking for a well-rounded individual. First and foremost an outgoing personality as well as good character is very important. The LSU Cheerleaders are highly visible within our community and therefore must be able to represent the University in a positive way. Grades and how well you work with others and our coaches will also be considered at tryouts. It is important to be a well-rounded cheerleader, diverse in partner stunts, tumbling and game day motions.
Sharp, properly placed, collegiate style motions are important. Knowledge of the material, confidence with loud voices will be looked for and weigh heavily. A sideline, fight song and band song will be evaluated.
Females are required to midlayer and top, both stunts and pyramids. Members of the LSU Cheerleading squad typically have intermediate to elite-level partner stunts.
Tumbling is required for female cheerleaders. The minimum skills are a standing tuck and standing back-handspring tuck. Running tumbling varies from tucks to trick passes. Male members range from no tumbling to trick passes.