BATON ROUGE, La. – The No. 51 LSU men’s tennis team (10-7, 1-6 SEC) defeated No. 48 Alabama (9-11, 1-6 SEC) by a score of 4-3 and Alcorn State (3-15) by a score of 7-0 on Sunday, March 26 at the LSU Tennis Complex.
No. 48 Stefan Latinovic and Nick Watson faced Filip Planinsek and German Samofalov on court 1. The Alabama duo won the match 6-1.
On court No. 3, Julien Penzlin and George Stoupe competed against Joao Ferreira and Matias Ponce De Leon. The Tigers took the match 7-5.
Chen Dong and Welsh Hotard faced Enzo Aguiard and Zach Foster in the No. 2 spot, clinching the doubles point 7-5. LSU took the lead 1-0.
On court 5, Stoupe faced Roan Jones. The Crimson Tide won the match in straight sets 6-1, 6-2 placing Alabama on the scoreboard 1-1.
Hotard competed against Samofalov in the No. 4 spot. The Tiger won the match 6-1, 6-3 and put LSU back in the lead 2-1.
No. 58 Hohmann took the court against No. 83 Planinsek in the No. 1 spot. Hohmann fought hard but Planinsek took the match 6-4, 6-4. Alabama and LSU once again tied at 2-2.
On court 6, Penzlin faced Zach Foster. The Tiger won the match 6-3, 7-5 and extended LSU’s score to 3-2.
No. 92 Dong faced Ponce De Leon on court 3. Dong secured the match 6-4, 7-5 and clinched the victory for LSU 4-2.
On court 2, Latinovic competed against No. 88 Aguiard in a three set battle. The Tiger took set one 6-3, but Aguiard came back to win the match 6-4, 6-0. The final score of the match was 4-3 LSU.
Alcorn State Match
Stoupe and Penzlin paired up on court 1 against Dakota Fernandez and Isaac Santitto. The Tiger duo won 6-0.
On court 3, Dong and Ben Koch teamed up for the first time this season against Luka Andonov and Arne Sohmer, clinching the doubles point 6-1. LSU took the lead 1-0.
No. 80 Hohmann and Watson faced Luka Rodic and Nikola Kijac, winning 6-2.
On Court 1, No. 58 Hohmann defeated Fernandez 6-0, 6-0. LSU’s lead extended to 2-0.
Koch competed against Santitto in the No. 6 spot. The Tiger won in straight sets 6-1, 6-0 and advanced LSU’s lead to 3-0.
Stoupe faced Kijac on court 2, winning the match 6-2, 6-0 and clinching the match 4-0 for LSU. The rest of the matches continued to play out.
In the No. 4 spot, Ambrosio competed against Andonov, securing the match in straight sets 6-1, 6-3. LSU’s lead advanced to 5-0.
Watson faced Sohmer on court 5. The Tiger won 6-1, 6-3 and extended LSU’s lead to 6-0.
Penzlin took on Rodic in the No. 3 spot. Set one went to Rodic 6-3. Penzlin came back to win the match 6-3, 10-6. The final score of the match was 7-0 LSU.
The Tigers will hit the road to face Arkansas in Fayetteville on Friday, March 31 at 5:30 p.m. CT.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#51 LSU 4, #48 Alabama 3
- #83 Filip Planinsek (UA) def. #58 Ronald Hohmann (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
- #88 Enzo Aguiard (UA) def. Stefan Latinovic (LSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
- Chen Dong (LSU) def. Matias Ponce De Leon (UA) 6-4, 7-5
- Welsh Hotard (LSU) def. German Samofalov (UA) 6-1, 6-3
- Roan Jones (UA) def. George Stoupe (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
- Julien Penzlin (LSU) def. Zach Foster (UA) 6-3, 7-5
- Filip Planinsek/German Samofalov (UA) def. #48 Stefan Latinovic/Nick Watson (LSU) 6-1
- Chen Dong/Welsh Hotard (LSU) def. Enzo Aguiard/Zach Foster (UA) 7-5
- Julien Penzlin/George Stoupe (LSU) def. Joao Ferreira/Matias Ponce De Leon (UA) 7-5
Alabama 9-11; National ranking #48
LSU 9-7; National ranking #51
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,1,4,6,3,2)
#51 LSU 7, Alcorn State 0
- #58 Ronald Hohmann (LSU) def. Dakota Fernandez (ASU) 6-0, 6-0
- George Stoupe (LSU) def. Nikola Kijac (ASU) 6-2, 6-0
- Julien Penzlin (LSU) def. Luka Rodic (ASU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-6
- Benjamin Ambrosio (LSU) def. Luka Andonov (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
- Nick Watson (LSU) def. Arne Sohmer (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
- Ben Koch (LSU) def. Isaac Santitto (ASU) 6-1, 6-0
- George Stoupe/Julien Penzlin (LSU) def. Dakota Fernandez/Isaac Santitto (ASU) 6-0
- #80 Ronald Hohmann/Nick Watson (LSU) def. Luka Rodic/Nikola Kijac (ASU) 6-2
- Chen Dong/Ben Koch (LSU) def. Luka Andonov/Arne Sohmer (ASU) 6-1
Alcorn State 3-15
LSU 10-7; National ranking #51
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,6,2,4,5,3)