No. 5 Beach Starts Season 4-0 in NOLA
Baton Rouge, La. – After winning its first two matches on Saturday, the No. 5 LSU Beach Volleyball team won both Sunday matches against Nicholls and UNO to close out the weekend at the Green Wave Invitational.
“Another great day for the Tigers,” said head coach Russell Brock. “Second day always brings new challenges physically and mentally and this is the first weekend to step into that space. Loved our response. Had three great wins in the morning matches and then two fantastic team dual wins. Would have really been east to slip up and coast, but the effort and intensity was at least as impressive as the match results.”
The Tigers will be back in action next weekend at the LSU Beach Volleyball Stadium where they will host the Tiger Beach Challenge Saturday and Sunday. LSU will play UAB, Tusculum, North Alabama, Southeastern and No. 19 South Carolina.
“Looking forward to getting some work in this week before we face some great tests at home next weekend,” said Brock. “It’s always fun to compete in the beach stadium in front of our fans. There’s just no place like it. Can’t wait to represent our school and our program as we take the next step this season. Hopefully we can pack it out!”
LSU opened the day with a 5-0 win over Nicholls. Melia Lindner and Amber Haynes set the tone of the match by convincingly winning in two sets on Court 4, 21-8 and 21-12. On Court 5 Brooke Blutreich and Cassidy Chambers won, 21-10 and 21-15.
Kylie DeBerg and Ellie Shank dominated on Court 1 winning 21-9 and 21-6. On Court 2 Parker Bracken and Reilly Allred won, 21-15 and 21-7. On Court 3 Lara Boos and Ella Larkin won, 21-4 and 21-6.
After a break, the Tigers came out on top with a 5-0 sweep against UNO. All five courts won in straight sets to close out their time in NOLA. On Court 4 Boos and Larkin won, 21-12 and 21-13. On Court 5 Chambers and Haynes won, 21-12 and 21-13.
DeBerg and Shank won Court 1, 21-15 and 21-14. On Court 2 Grace Siets and Bracken won, 21-18 and 21-12. Hannah Brister and Allred won Court 3, 21-15 and 21-19.
No. 5 LSU def. Nicholls 5-0
- LSU Kylie Deberg and Ellie Shank def. Nicholls Kennedi Steele and Aspen Steele; 21-9, 21-6
- LSU Parker Bracken and Reilly Allred def. Nicholls Katie Jones and Luciana Chuong; 21-15, 21-7
- LSU Laura Boos and Ella Larkin def. Nicholls Bethanie Durant and Alisha Wischkaemper; 21-14, 21-6
- LSU Melia Lindner and Amber Haynes def. Nicholls McKay Wilson and McKenna Malone; 21-8, 21-12
- LSU Brooke Blutreich and Cassidy Chambers def. Nicholls Hailey Mason and Ja’Mya Holmes; 21-10, 21-15
No. 5 LSU def. UNO 5-0
- LSU Ellie Shank and Kylie Deberg def. UNO Ania Esarte and Maria Ozaeta; 21-15, 21-14
- LSU Parker Bracken and Grace Seits def. UNO Alexa Spartz/Trinity Jackson; 21-18, 21-12
- LSU Rielly Allred and Hannah Brister def. UNO Ashley Salazar and Ivana de Carvalho Peixe; 21-15, 21-19
- LSU Lara Boos and Ella Larkin def. UNO Serena Baumgart and Valerie Vujnovich; 21-12, 21-16
- LSU Cassidy Chambers and Amber Haynes def. UNO Sydney Gott and Valentina Echeverri; 21-12, 21-13