Tigers Blanked By No. 11 Gators
BATON ROUGE—The LSU men’s tennis team was defeated by No. 11 Florida, 7-0, Friday night at the LSU Tennis Complex.
The Tigers fall to 8-3 overall and 1-2 in SEC play.
The Gators proved why they were 11th in the nation today, both in doubles and singles. Joao Graca and Joey Thomas fell to Florida’s Johannes Ingildsen and Will Grant, 6-3. The Gators clinched the doubles point after Sam Riffice and Duarte Vale defeated Ronald Hohmann and Rafael Wagner, 6-4
Singles was no different for the Tigers as five of the six matches were lost in straight sets. Tom Pisane was defeated by No. 8 Sam Riffice, 6-2, 6-0. Boris Kozlov fell to Florida’s Ben Shelton, 6-1, 6-2 and the Gators secured the victory after Nick Watson was defeated by No. 96 Lukas Greif. Joao Graca had his match on court four tied at 4-4 in the second set, but eventually fell, 6-3, 6-4. Rafael Wagner took on No. 85 Andy Andrade. Wagner led in the first set, 5-4, but Andrade came back and won in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4. Ronald Hohmann had the closest match of the day against No. 12 Duarte Vale. Hohmann took the first set, 6-4. It was a tale of two matches though, as Vale took the next set and the tiebreak to clinch the sweep for Florida, 4-6, 6-1, 1-0(8).
The Tigers stay home to face No. 18 South Carolina and Nicholls on Sunday, February 28 at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. CT.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Florida Gators vs LSU
Feb 26, 2021 at Baton Rouge, LA
(LSU Tennis Complex)
#11 Florida Gators 7, LSU 0
1. Duarte Vale (UF) def. Ronald Hohmann (LSU) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Andy Andrade (UF) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Sam Riffice (UF) def. Tom Pisane (LSU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Blaise Bicknell (UF) def. Joao Graca (LSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Ben Shelton (UF) def. Boris Kozlov (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Lukas Greif (UF) def. Nick Watson (LSU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Sam Riffice/Duarte Vale (UF) def. Ronald Hohmann/Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-4
2. Johannes Ingildsen/Will Grant (UF) def. Joao Graca/Joey Thomas (LSU) 6-3
3. Boris Kozlov/Nick Watson (LSU) vs. Andy Andrade/Ben Shelton (UF) 4-4, unfinished
Florida Gators 7-1; National ranking #11
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,5,6,4,1,2)
Official: Richie Weaver