Men’s Tennis Falls to No. 16 Kentucky
LEXINGTON, KY—The LSU men’s tennis team was defeated by No. 16 Kentucky, 4-0, on Sunday, February 21, at the Boone Tennis Complex in Lexington, KY
The Tigers fall to 8-2 on the season and 1-1 in SEC play.
The Tigers saw their lone highlight of the day in doubles after Nick Watson and Boris Kozlov stayed undefeated at a duo this season, improving to 7-0 after defeating Kentucky’s Alexandre Leblanc and Liam Drax, 6-2. The Wildcats tied doubles up after Joao Graca and Joey Thomas fell to Millen Hurrion and Yasha Zemel, 7-5. The doubles point all came down to a tiebreak on court one between No. 60 Ronald Hohmann and Rafael Wagner and Kentucky’s Cesar Bourgois and Gabriel Diallo. The Wildcats duo dominated the tiebreak, 7-1, and won the match, 7-6(1), and the doubles point.
Kentucky didn’t let up in singles, sweeping the rest of the way for the 4-0 victory. Boris Kozlov was the first off the court after Cesar Bourgois won, 6-1, 6-2. Rafael Wagner held a lead in his first set at 4-2, but Gabriel Diallo came back and took the first set and eventually the game, 7-5, 6-1. Kentucky closed out the sweep on court three after Kentucky’s Millen Hurrion defeated Tom Pisane, 7-5, 6-1. No matches were played out, but it’s worth noting that No. 99 Ronald Hohmann was leading over No. 45 Liam Draxl, 6-4, 1-6, 3-2.
The Tigers return home to face Florida on Friday, February 26 at 5:00 p.m. at the LSU Tennis Complex.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#16 Kentucky 4, LSU 0
1. #45 Liam Draxl (UK) vs. #99 Ronald Hohmann (LSU) 4-6, 6-1, 2-3, unfinished
2. Gabriel Diallo (UK) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Millen Hurrion (UK) def. Tom Pisane (LSU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Cesar Bourgois (UK) def. Boris Kozlov (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. #123 Joshua Lapadat (UK) vs. Joao Graca (LSU) 4-2, unfinished
6. Nick Watson (LSU) vs. Yasha Zemel (UK) no result
1. Cesar Bourgois/Gabriel Diallo (UK) def. #60 Rafael Wagner/Ronald Hohmann (LSU) 7-6 (7-1)
2. Millen Hurrion/Yasha Zemel (UK) def. Joao Graca/Joey Thomas (LSU) 7-5
3. Nick Watson/Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Alexandre Leblanc/Liam Draxl (UK) 6-2
LSU 8-2 (1-1 SEC)
Kentucky 11-1 (1-0 SEC); National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,2,3)
Official: Tom Cloud