2020 LSU Baseball Superlatives
Tigers Completed Season on Five-Game Win Streak
- Paul Mainieri earned his 600th LSU win on March 6, when the Tigers defeated UMass Lowell in Alex Box Stadium … Mainieri became just the 12th coach in SEC history to compile 600 wins at a league school … his record currently stands at 603-260-3 (.698) in 14 seasons at LSU … the .698 winning percentage is the third-highest by an SEC coach in league history; former LSU coach Skip Bertman is No. 1 with a 870-330-3 (.724) mark in 18 seasons (1984-2001), and former South Carolina coach Ray Tanner is No. 2 with a 738-316-0 (.700) record in 16 seasons (1997-2012).
- Paul Mainieri has a 1,467-752-7 career record in 38 seasons as a collegiate baseball coach … he is No. 2 on the NCAA Division I Active Coaches Wins List … Mike Fox of North Carolina is No. 1 with 1,487 victories.
- LSU completed the 2020 season with a five-game win streak, and the Tigers won nine of their final 11 games.
- Sophomore centerfielder Giovanni DiGiacomo batted .471 (8-for-17) during LSU’s five-game win streak and raised his cumulative batting average from .261 to .351 in the five-game span … he finished as the team leader in batting average.
- Freshman shortstop Collier Cranford batted .538 (7-for-13) during LSU’s five-game win streak with two doubles, five runs and five RBI … Cranford has also played outstanding defense during the season, as he did not commit an error in 40 chances.
- Freshman second baseman Cade Doughty hit .500 (9-for-18) in the Tigers’ final five games with one homer, seven RBI and four runs.
- Junior rightfielder Daniel Cabrera had seven RBI in the final five games of the season, and he tied for the team lead in RBI with 12 (along with first baseman Cade Beloso, DH/catcher Saul Garza and second baseman Cade Doughty) … Cabrera and Beloso shared the team lead in hits, as each recorded 20 on the year.
- Junior right-hander Devin Fontenot recorded a win and two saves in his final three appearances … he worked five scoreless and hitless innings in the three-game stretch with two walks and 11 strikeouts … Fontenot was 1-0 on the year with a 0.90 ERA, four walks, 17 strikeouts and four saves in 10 innings, and he ranked No. 3 in the SEC in saves.
- Sophomore right-hander Jaden Hill fired four perfect innings with three strikeouts in his final outing on March 7, earning a save versus UMass Lowell … Hill allowed just one hit in 11.2 innings this season while recording 17 strikeouts … opponents batted .028 (1-for-36) against Hill this year.
- The LSU pitching staff finished No. 3 in the SEC with a .186 opponent batting average and a No. 4 in the league with a 2.38 ERA … the .186 opponent batting average is the lowest given up by an LSU staff in the first 17 games since at least 1997 (when digital records first became available) … the previous low in that 17-game span was .200 by the 2017 LSU pitching staff.
- LSU led the nation in total college baseball attendance for the 25th straight season … the Tigers’ final home attendance figure was 133,848, an average of 10,296 per game.