Hey Fightin' Podcast: Jack Marucci
Jack Marucci is the Brain of LSU Football.
He’ll push back on that, because he’s humble and brilliant. But Marucci, who just finished his 24th season as LSU’s Director of Athletics training, is the driving force behind so many innovations and ideas inside of the football program.
He has the trust of Ed Orgeron, who leans on him for research, analysis, technological advancement, player health, character evaluation, and much more. He also has the trust of Orgeron’s players, who spend hours in his training room rehabbing, venting, relaxing, seeking counsel, and debating whatever topics of the day should arise in the Barbershop.
On today’s show, we look back at the 2019 season through the eyes of Marucci, who was there every step of the way, as well as looking ahead to the future of Tiger football. Throughout the conversation, the same topics converge: character and trust, the blending of objective data with subjective analysis, the balancing of hard work and efficient work,
- 6:30 – Jack Marucci
- 8:20 – How character affects recovery
- 10:38 – Marucci’s character study and how it helped predict the 2019 national title
- 14:20 – SportSense testing and how LSU learned how its players process information
- 18:00 – Why guys bust in the NFL
- 19:24 – Why an above average arm is better than an elite rocket of an arm at quarterback
- 20:45 – Defensive line reaction timing
- 21:55- Picking which areas of the team to study in the offseason
- 24:34 – Ed Orgeron, college football’s foremost innovator
- 26:57 – How Coach O built a culture of excellence from top to bottom
- 31:17 – How the 2019 exuded character in all areas
- 34:41 – How EA Sports is helping LSU’s QBs work in virtual reality
- 35:38 – The one question every MLB team asks Marucci about LSU
- 37:25 – Balancing objective data with subjective interpretation
- 38:38 – Why the human element matters most
- 41:50 – Sustainability
SportSense Testing/S2 Cognition: https://s2cognition.com/
LSU’s Eye Dominance/Eye Tracking Testing: https://lsusports.net/news/2019/9/5/211810894.aspx
Seeker Machine: https://www.monarcsport.com/