Tigers Fall To No. 1 South Carolina
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The LSU women’s basketball team fell to No. 1 South Carolina, 63-48, Thursday night in Columbia, South Carolina. With the loss, LSU is 18-7 overall and 8-5 in the conference. The Gamecocks picked up their 20th straight win and is now 26-1 overall and 13-0 in the SEC. The Tigers still lead the all-time series 22-14.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Awa Trasi put LSU on the board first,2-0.
- South Carolina went on a 6-0 run but was cut off by straight layups from Pointer then Cherry to tie it at 6-6.
- The Tigers cut off a 12-0 run by South Carolina with another jumper and layup by Cherry. LSU headed into the second quarter down 23-12.
- The Tigers again struck first, thanks to a jumper by Cherry.
- Trasi made two straight jumpers out of the second quarter media timeout, which put LSU within seven at 25-18 with about five minutes left in the half.
- After a 5-0 Tiger run, LSU cut South Carolina’s lead to four, 30-26 with about two minutes left until the half.
- The Gamecocks led 32-26 at halftime.
- A three by Khayla Pointer triggered a South Carolina timeout with 4:25 left to play in the third, Tigers trailed 43-31.
- Another three by Cherry and layup by Pointer put LSU within 12. The Gamecocks led 52-36 going into the fourth quarter.
- Aifuwa kicked off the fourth quarter first for the Tigers by making both of her free throws and that is where the points began being traded.
- South Carolina led 61-45 at the media timeout with 2:13 left.
The Tigers will be at home on Sunday, February 23, hosting Georgia in the PMAC at 2 p.m. The game will be broadcast on SEC Network Plus. It will be the annual Play4Kay game and LSU will be honoring its four seniors – Ayana Mitchell, Jaelyn Richard-Harris, Mercedes Brooks and LaToya Ashman – during pregame ceremonies.
Women’s Basketball Social Center
For more information and updates on LSU Women’s Basketball please visit LSUsports.net, ‘like’ us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter and Instagram @lsuwbkb.