Volleyball Sweeps Alabama in Tuscaloosa
BATON ROUGE – The LSU volleyball team claimed a three-set sweep of Alabama on Sunday afternoon by scores of 25-21, 25-16, 25-15. The Tigers are now 15-11 on the year and 9-7 in the league. Alabama drops to 12-15 on the year and 4-12 in the SEC.
Taylor Bannister led the Tigers with 14 kills, hitting .273 for the match. Samarah Hill recorded eight kills, hitting .353 on the match and tallying nine digs. Raigen Cianciulli picked up 12 digs, while Karli Rose finished the match with 34 assists.
The Tigers will return home after two weeks on the road for their final home match of 2019, facing No. 14 Kentucky Wednesday in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center at 7 p.m. The match will air live on SEC Network with Tiffany Greene and Missy Whittemore on the call.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LSU got out to a 3-0 lead, including back-to-back kills by Taylor Bannister. The Crimson Tide worked their way back to tie the set up and take a 5-4 lead. The Tigers got the lead back and pushed to a 15-9 lead into the media timeout.
- Alabama took a timeout as Bannister was left open on the right side. She slammed it down to make the score 18-10. Alabama worked its way back to force the Tigers to a timeout, but LSU still led 21-17.
- The Tigers forced the Crimson Tide to their final timeout of the set at 23-19 and claimed the set on a slow roll kill by Samarah Hill. Bannister led the Tigers with a total of six kills, while the Tigers hit .282 for the set. Allee Morris added four kills.
- The Tigers pushed to an 8-4 lead early in the second set after a block by Whitney Foreman and Hill. LSU took a 15-13 lead into the media timeout. The Tigers forced Alabama to its first timeout of the set as the Tigers led 18-15.
- The Tigers finished off the set with a 5-0 run, which included a block by Bannister and Morris and a kill by Hill. The Tigers hit .333 on the set with Bannister leading the way with three.
- LSU got out to a 5-1 lead after a block by Sydney Mukes, forcing Alabama to take a timeout early. LSU pushed to a 9-3 lead on a kill by Bannister. A Bannister block forced Alabama to its second timeout of the set as the Tigers led 12-8.
- The Tigers went on a 4-0 run to give them a 17-9 lead. A big block by Anita Anwusi put the Tigers up 19-11 and the Tigers rallied off the final set on an ace by Karli Rose.
- The last time the Tigers swept Alabama in Tuscaloosa was September 24, 2010.
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.