Volleyball Drops Road Match at No. 16 Kentucky
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The LSU volleyball team fell to No. 16 Kentucky on the road Wednesday evening by scores of 17-25, 13-25, 21-25. The Tigers are now 10-9 on the year and 4-5 in the SEC, while Kentucky improves to 15-3 overall and 6-1 in the league.
Taylor Bannister led the Tigers with 10 kills on the night. Samarah Hill added seven kills and six digs. Karli Rose tallied 25 assists and nine digs, while Raigen Cianciulli led the back row with 10 digs.
The Tigers will have the weekend off and will not compete until Friday, November 1, traveling to South Carolina.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tigers took a 2-1 lead after a kill from Allee Morris, but Kentucky pushed to a 8-4 lead. LSU tried to get in system, but Kentucky continued to gain momentum, taking a 12-6 lead, forcing the Tigers to a timeout.
- Out of the timeout, the Tigers got a kill from Samarah Hill. LSU then scored back-to-back points off a Karli Rose service ace and a service error by the Wildcats, but Kentucky pushed to a 17-11 lead.
- The Tigers called their second timeout of the set as Kentucky took a 21-14 lead. The Tigers tried to hold off the Wildcats as they scored three-straight points, off back-to-back kills by Hill and Morris and a service error by the Wildcats.
- Kentucky ended up taking the set 25-17 with the Tigers hitting .025 to the Wildcats .314 mark. Hill led the Tigers with four kills, while Sydney Mukes picked up five digs.
- In the second set, the two teams went point-for-point. The Tigers got back-to-back kills by Taylor Bannister from the back row, tying the set up at 4-4. The Tigers took a 6-5 lead on a Hill kill. Kentucky then went on a 6-0 run to reclaim the lead, 11-6, and force the Tigers to use their first timeout of the set.
- Kentucky pushed to a 15-6 lead and the Tigers used their second timeout of the set to get in system. The Wildcats continued their momentum and took advantage of some Tiger errors to take the set, 25-13 and 2-0 lead on the match,
- Bannister led the Tigers in the set with four kills, bringing her total to seven on the match. The Tigers hit .036 to Kentucky’s .522.
- The Tigers got out to a 5-3 lead in the third set after a kill by Bannister and an ace from Raigen Cianciulli. The Wildcats scored two straight to tie the set up at 5-5, but the Tigers battled two straight points to retake the lead, 7-5.
- Kentucky regained momentum to take an 11-9 lead on the Tigers. The Tigers took their first timeout of the set as Kentucky went up 15-13. The Tigers tried to hold off Kentucky, but they took a 19-15 lead after a service error by the Tigers.
- LSU used its second timeout of the set after an attacking error by the Tigers, pushing the Kentucky lead to 21-16. LSU came within two after a big block by Anita Anwusi and Bannister, closing in on Kentucky, 22-20, and forcing the Wildcats to a timeout.
- Kentucky ended up taking the set 25-21. The Tigers hit .162 in the final set.
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www/lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.