Volleyball Falls to No. 13 Florida
BATON ROUGE – The LSU volleyball team fell to No. 13 Florida in three sets Sunday by scores of 20-25, 20-25 and 21-25. LSU moves to 10-8 on the season and 4-4 in the SEC, While Florida moves to 15-3 on the season and 6-1 in the SEC.
Taylor Bannister recorded 20 kills on the afternoon and added 10 digs, her third career double-double and second of the year. Samarah Hill added eight kills and led the Tigers with a season-high 18 digs.
The Tigers will be on the road against Kentucky, Wednesday at 7 p.m. CT. The match will air live on SEC Network and will be available via live stats.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tigers fell behind early to the Gators, but Taylor Bannister recorded a kill to put the Tigers within one, 3-2. Whitney Foreman answered with a huge block to add a Tiger point and even the score 3-3.
- Florida gained momentum on the Tigers, but Bannister added a kill to try and put the Tigers back in the set. Karli Rose also tallied a kill early, cutting the Gator lead to 8-6. Bannister and Hill came through for the Tigers putting them back in the set and made it even at 10-10.
- Florida took the lead 19-15 but the Tigers fought back to get into rhythm after a kill from Foreman. Hill put the ball away to come within three, 20-17 and Rose added an ace. The Tigers continued to fight back but fell short to the Gators, 20-25.
- In the first set the Tigers hit .195 lead by Bannister who tallied 6 kills.
- In the second set Bannister came out big for the Tigers recording two kills, evening the score at 2-2. Florida took the lead, but Bannister again tallied a kill for the Tigers to try and put them back in the set.
- Milan Stokes recorded her first kill of the afternoon that evened the score again at 13-13. Allee Morris also tallied her first kill of the day adding a Tiger point to the board 14-14. Bannister recorded an ace to put the Tigers in the lead for the first time in the set 16-15 over the Gators.
- Foreman tallied a kill to keep the LSU lead over the Gators, 18-16. Florida took the lead and the Tigers fought back late in the set but couldn’t finish. The Tigers dropped set two to Florida 20-25.
- In the third set the Tigers came out fighting and took an early lead over Florida with kills from Hill, Bannister, and Foreman to make the score 4-1. Rose tallied a kill to help maintain the lead over the Gators 7-4. The Gators fought back and evened the score 7-7 but a quick kill from Bannister put the Tigers back in the lead 8-7.
- Florida gained momentum and took the lead from LSU, but Bannister added a kill to put the Tigers within one point of the Gators, 12-11. Emmaline Walters tallied an ace trying to get back in system for the Tigers but was still behind, 19-16.
- Bannister recorded a huge back row kill to add a point to the LSU scoreboard and Hill tried to gain some momentum back, tallying a kill to put LSU within three, 23-20. LSU fought back but couldn’t finish against Florida, falling 21-25.
- Bannister recorded 20 kills on the match and 10 digs for her third career double-double and her second on the year.
- Samarah Hill lead the Tigers in digs with a season-high 18 on the match.
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www/lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.