Tigers Fall to Ole Miss in Four Sets
BATON ROUGE – The LSU volleyball team fell to Ole Miss in four sets Sunday by scores of 25-27, 25-23, 19-25, 19-25 inside the Pete Maravich Assembly Center. The Tigers are now 8-6 on the season and 2-2 in the SEC. The Rebels move to 11-3 on the season and 3-0 in the SEC.
Taylor Bannister recorded her 1,000th career kill of the season and 19 in the match. Raigen Cianciulli led the Tigers in digs with a season-high 27, while Samarah Hill tallied 13 kills.
— LSU Volleyball (@lsuvolleyball) October 6, 2019
The Tigers will be on the road next week, taking on Tennessee Friday at 5:30 p.m. CT in Knoxville. The match will stream live on SECN+ and live stats will be available. The Tigers will remain on the road Sunday, facing Georgia at 12:30 p.m. CT. The match will steam on SECN+ and live stats will be available.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tigers and the Rebels battled back and forth in the first set, but kills from Taylor Bannister, Anita Anwusi and Samarah Hill added points to the board for the Tigers, which tied the score at 6-6.
- Hill tallied another kill to even the score at 15-15. The Rebels took the lead but an Anwusi kill tied the set at 19-19. LSU went on 3-0 run to take the momentum and force Ole Miss to a timeout.
- Bannister put the ball away to the put the Tigers ahead for the first time in the set, 20-29. The Tigers fell behind 24-22 but recorded a quick kill from Whitney Foreman that put the Tigers within one of the Rebels and forced them to their final timeout of the set. Foreman found the open court to even score at 24-24.
- The Tigers fell just short in set one, falling 27-25 to the Rebels. LSU hit .077 in the first set with Hill leading the kills from the Tigers.
- LSU came out hot in the second set starting with a 3-0 run that was led by a Bannister kill to put the Tigers ahead 3-1. The Rebels tried to gain momentum but a service error and attacking error from the Rebels helped push the Tiger lead to 8-6. Kills from Foreman, Hill and Anwusi pushed the Tigers in the lead 12-9 over Ole Miss. Milan Stokes recorded her first kill of the night putting another point on the board over Ole Miss, 13-9.
- The Rebels took the lead from the Tigers 15-13, but Bannister and Foreman tallied kills, putting the Tigers within one point of the Rebels 16-15. The Rebels took a 21-19 lead over the Tigers and forced an LSU timeout.
- Sydney Mukes helped the Tigers take the momentum back from the Rebels when she evened the score at 23-23 with a kill and forced the Rebels to a timeout. An ace from Raigen Cianciulli put the Tigers in the lead 24-23 over the Rebels, and Bannister closed the set out with a kill, taking the set 25-23 to even the match.
- In the third set, Ole Miss took the early lead 7-5 against the Tigers, but a kill from Hill evened the score at 9-9. The Tigers couldn’t get into system and fell behind to the Rebels 13-10, taking their first timeout of the set.
- A block by Anna Zwiebel and Foreman kept a Rebel point off the board and Zwiebel put a ball away to add to the Tigers score. The Rebels still maintained the lead 20-16 over the Tigers, Bannister added a massive kill trying to regain the momentum for the Tigers.
- The Tigers tried to fight back but couldn’t close the door against the Rebels, falling 25-19 in the third set and trailing 2-1 on the match.
- In the fourth set Hill recorded an ace early to put the Tigers up 2-1 over the Rebels, Bannister and Anwusi came up with a huge block to increase the Tiger lead to 3-1. Foreman added a kill for the Tigers putting them in the lead 8-7. The Rebels took the lead 12-9 but Zwiebel tallied a block to try and gain momentum for LSU.
- The Tigers took their final timeout of the set, trying to answer an Ole Miss scoring run. Bannister answered with a kill to try and cut down on the Rebel lead, 18-13. LSU produced a 3-0 run, forcing an Ole Miss timeout. Despite fighting back at the end of the set LSU couldn’t get the win and fell 25-19.
- Taylor Bannister reached 1,000 kills in her career, she is the 23rd Tiger to reach 1,000 career kills and the seventh to do it as a junior in program history. Her 19 kills tie her season-high.
- Samarah Hill recorded 13 kills while Raigen Cianciulli tallied a match-high 27 digs. Anna Zwiebel recorded 22 assists in the match.
FRAN’S FINAL THOUGHTS
On the loss to Ole Miss…
“We were not very assertive today; we did not assert ourselves in the match. It’s what we preached all week of what we needed to do after the Missouri match. We showed them video and we just didn’t respond which is really frustrating.”
On Taylor Bannister reaching 1000 kills
“I’m proud of Taylor (Bannister) for getting there and getting there during her junior year. We give her a ton of opportunities and the best thing is that she makes the most out of them. She’s a physical kid that is becoming a really good volleyball player. I think she’s made the most of this opportunity but there’s a whole lot more left in her. I’m excited to have her for another year and a half.”
On reaching 1000 kills
“Reaching 1000 kills is actually pretty amazing. Having my teammates and working hard together every day is really helpful. The team helps make me better by helping me find out which shots I need to work on. Working together as team, I feel like we all hit 1000 kills today. When I first got here, I didn’t even think I would be starting or even actually playing because I had just switched to being on the right side. It’s been a really cool journey getting to this point.”
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.