Volleyball Sweeps South Dakota State
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – The LSU volleyball team claimed a straight-set victory over South Dakota State to close out the Lumberjack Classic Saturday. The Tigers defeated the Jackrabbits by scores of 25-23, 25-14, 25-13. The Tigers improve to 5-3 on the year, while the Jackrabbits drop to 3-6.
Sophomore Whitney Foreman led the Tigers with 10 kills, hitting .409 on the match. Freshman Allee Morris finished with nine kills, hitting .444 for the match. Freshman Samarah Hill and junior Raigen Cianciulli led the Tigers in digs with 11 each.
– The Tigers will finally play at home next weekend, taking on Southern Miss on Friday, September 20, at 7 p.m. and Tulane on Saturday, September 21, at 2 p.m. Both of those matches will stream live on SEC Network+.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- South Dakota State got out to a 8-3 lead, but a couple of kills by Whitney Foreman help the Tigers work their way back, going on a 3-0 run to come within two, 9-7. A 5-2 run by the Jackrabbits gave them a 15-10 lead and forced the Tigers to use their first timeout of the set.
- A 5-1 run for the Tigers put them with in one of the Jackrabbits, 17-16, forcing South Dakota State to a timeout. The run was sparked by a couple of kills by senior Milan Stokes.
- A kill from Samarah Hill and an ace from Anna Zwiebel put the Tigers ahead 19-18. The two teams went point-for-point until back-to-back kills by Taylor Bannister and Allee Morris put the Tigers up 23-22. Two attack errors by the Jackrabbits gave the set to the Tigers, 25-23.
- Morris led the Tigers in the first set with five kills, hitting .444. The Tigers hit .206 as a team.
- The Tigers started off the second set hot, taking a 3-0 lead before South Dakota State got on the board. The Jackrabbits tried to work their way back but the Tigers kept their momentum going, taking a 11-6 lead and forcing the Jackrabbits to a timeout.
- The two teams went back and forth for the next few points, but LSU went on a 3-0 run to extend their lead to 16-9 and force South Dakota State to its second timeout of the set.
- The Tigers kept their momentum going, finishing the set on 6-3 run, claiming the set 25-14. The Tigers hit .321 in the set with Foreman leading the way with six.
- The Jackrabbits got out to a 3-0 lead on the Tigers in the third set, but LSU worked its way back to tie the set up at 5-5. LSU went up 7-5 and forced the Jackrabbits to a timeout, but they worked their way back and tied the set up 8-8.
- The Tigers went on an impressive 6-0 run to take a 14-8 lead, forcing the Jackrabbits to their second timeout of the set. LSU pushed to a 18-10 lead after a kill by Hill.
- A kill by Stokes finished off the set and the match for the Tigers, 25-13. The Tigers hit .267 in the final set.
Taylor Bannister and Samarah Hill picked up Lumberjack Classic All-Tournament honors, both their second honors of the season. Bannister tallied 41 kills on the weekend, averaging 4.10 kills per set. Hill tallied 28 on the weekend with 24 digs. Bannister is now 79 kills away from reaching 1,000 in her career.
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.