Volleyball Falls to Northern Arizona
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – The LSU volleyball team dropped its second match of the day, falling to Northern Arizona in the Lumberjack Classic Friday evening by scores of 24-26, 19-25, 24-26. The Tigers are now 4-3 on the year while Northern Arizona improves to 5-3.
Junior Taylor Bannister led with 18 kill on the match, while Samarah Hill added 13. Freshman Karli Rose picked up her third double-double of the season with 31 assists and 14 digs. Raigen Cianciulli recorded 17 digs.
– The Tigers finish up the Lumberjack Classic on Saturday, taking on South Dakota State at 12 p.m. CT.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams went back and forth to start the match but NAU took a 7-4 lead. The Tigers tried to swing the momentum, but NAU continued to push, leading 16-12 and forcing LSU to a timeout.
- The Tigers worked their way back and tied the set up on a Taylor Bannister kill. The Tigers then took the lead on a NAU error. The two teams went point-for-point until LSU had set point at 24-23 after a kill by Bannister. NAU continued to push back and ended up taking the set, 26-24, after scoring three straight.
- Bannister led the set with six kills, while the team hit .216 to NAU’s .188.
- In the second set, NAU got out to a 4-2 lead and pushed to a 7-4 lead. The Tigers tried to get in rhythm, but NAU continued to score, taking a 12-8 and forced LSU to a timeout.
- NAU went up 16-11, but a kills by Bannister and Whitney Foreman and errors by the Lumberjacks put the Tigers within two, 17-15. The Tigers took a timeout as NAU went up 20-16. The Tigers tried to come back but NAU finished the set on a 4-0 run, claiming the set 25-19.
- The Tigers started off the third set hot with a 5-0 lead, but NAU worked their way back scoring the next six of seven points to tie the set up 6-6. The two teams went back and forth until the Tigers put together two straight to take a 13-10 lead and force NAU to a timeout.
- LSU went on a 4-2 run to take a 17-14 lead after a Milan Stokes kill. NAU worked their way back and came within one, 18-17. LSU took a 20-17 lead, forcing NAU to a timeout.
- LSU had set point at 24-22, but NAU scored four straight to take the set and claim the match in three.
- Bannister led the Tigers with 18 kills, her sixth match of the year leading the Tigers.
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.