Volleyball Falls to No. 6 Penn State
AMES, Iowa – The LSU volleyball team fell to No. 6 ranked Penn State in straight sets on Saturday afternoon in Hilton Coliseum by scores of 16-25, 11-25, 16-25. The Tigers are now 2-2 on the year, while Penn State improves to 5-0.
Junior Taylor Bannister led the Tigers for the fourth-straight match, tallying nine kills. Freshman Karli Rose finished with a team-high 13 assists, while junior Raigen Cianciulli finished with a match-high 13 digs.
– The Tigers finish up the Cyclone Invitational on Sunday, facing host Iowa State at noon. The game will broadcast live on Cyclones.TV and live stats will be available.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LSU hung with Penn State for the first few points, but Penn State pushed to a 13-7 lead, forcing the Tigers to use their first timeout of the set.
- The Tigers tried to get their rhythm going, but Penn State continued to gain momentum, taking a 17-9 lead into the Tigers’ second timeout.
- LSU put together a four-point swing, including kills from Sydney Mukes and Samarah Hill, putting the Tigers within four, 17-13, of Penn State and forcing the Nittany Lions to a timeout.
- Penn State closed out the set on an 8-3 run, claiming set one, 25-16. Taylor Bannister led the Tigers in the first set with four kills, while Raigen Cianciulli picked up four digs.
- In set two, Penn State jumped out to a 4-1 lead and pushed to a 7-3 lead on the Tigers. A 4-2 run for the Nittany Lions gave them a 11-5 lead. The Tigers called for time try and shift the momentum.
- The Tigers, once again, were trying to get some tempo going, but Penn State continued to gain momentum, taking the second set, 25-11. Penn State limited Bannister to just one kill in the second set.
- The Tigers came out in the third set with some fire and started off the set with a kill and an ace to take a 2-0 lead. The Tigers pushed to a 4-1 lead after an ace from Cianciulli.
- The Tigers pushed to a 6-4 lead before Penn State tied the set up at 6-6. The Tigers went on a 3-0 run after a kill by Karli Rose, giving the Tigers a 9-6 lead. Penn State tied the set up again at 12-12 and took a 15-13 lead into the media timeout.
- LSU took its first timeout of the set as Penn State upped its lead to 17-14. The Nittany Lions pushed to a 20-15 lead off an LSU error, forcing the Tigers to use its second timeout.
- Penn State finished the set on a 5-1 run to take the set, 25-16 and the match 3-0.
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.