Volleyball Drops Five-Set Match to Arizona State
HOUSTON, Texas – The LSU volleyball team dropped its second match of the season, falling in five sets to Arizona State by scores of 27-25, 17-25, 25-20, 22-25, 7-15. The Tigers are now 1-1 on the year and Arizona State improves to 2-0.
Junior Taylor Bannister led the Tigers once again, tallying a match-high 18 kills. Freshman Samarah Hill and sophomore Whitney Foreman each had 11 kills. Freshman Karli Rose finished the five sets with a match-high 39 assists and 11 digs, her first double-double as a Tiger. Hill finished with a match-high 16 digs, for her first double-double as a Tiger as well.
– The Tigers finish up play at the Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup Saturday, taking on at 7 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LSU trailed Arizona State 7-3, but worked its way back to come within one, 8-7 off a kill by Bannister.
- The Tigers tried to work their way back, but trail 17-13 as they took a timeout to regroup. The Tigers scored out of the timeout on a Whitney Foreman kill.
- An ace from Raigen Cianciulli put the Tigers within two, 20-18, and forced Arizona to use a timeout.
- A Foreman kill, an attack error by the Sun Devils and an ace from Jill Bohnet put the Tigers even with Arizona State, 22-22.
- The two teams went point-for-point, but the Tigers came out on top after three set points, 27-25. Bannister and Foreman each had four kills.
- In set two, Arizona State jumped out to an 8-2 lead, forcing the Tigers to use a timeout. The Sun Devils pushed to a 14-3 lead but the Tigers went on a 5-0 run that brought them within six, 14-8, and force the Sun Devils to take a timeout.
- Out of the timeout, Arizona State went on a 3-0 run to take a 17-8 lead. The Tigers called for a timeout.
- The Tigers tried to make a comeback but Arizona State claimed the second set, 25-17.
- In the third set, the Tigers came out with some fire, jumping out to a 7-1 lead. Arizona State took a timeout. Arizona State pushed back and went on a 7-4 run to come within three, 11-8.
- The Tigers rallied to a 17-11 lead, forcing Arizona State to a timeout. An Ace and a block out of the timeout pushed the Tigers to a 19-11 lead.
- Arizona State scored five straight points to come within three, 19-16, forcing the Tigers to a timeout.
- A 6-4 run ended the set in the Tigers’ favor, giving them a 2-1 lead on the match.
- Arizona State got out to a 3-1 lead in the fourth, but the Tigers worked their way back to tie up the set 6-6.
- The Tigers pushed to a 10-8 lead, but Arizona State worked its way to a 14-12 lead. The Tigers tried to work their way back but the Sun Devils continue to rally, taking a 20-16 lead and forcing the Tigers to a timeout.
- The Tigers came within three and forced Arizona State to a timeout, but Arizona State continue to push taking a 24-19 lead. The Tigers scored two straight points but The Sun Devils took the set 25-22.
- LSU started off the fifth set with a 3-1 lead but the Sun Devils rallied to tie it up and take a 6-5 lead.
- The Tigers tried to gain some momentum but Arizona State continued to rally, taking a 13-7 lead.
- The Tigers called for time, but ASU scored two straight to take the set, 15-7, and the match.
- Bannister’s double-digit kill match is the second-straight. She now has a total of
- The Tigers are now 3-3 against the Sun Devils all-time.
- Hill recorded her first double-digit kill match and first double-double as a Tiger.
- Rose recorded her first double-double as a Tiger with 39 assists and 11 digs.
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.