Softball Downs Arkansas in Series Finale, 3-1
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The No. 9/6 LSU softball team used a home run from Amanda Doyle to propel the Tigers to a 3-1 win over No. 19/25 Arkansas on Saturday afternoon in Bogle Park. The Tigers are now 37-11 on the year and 14-7 in the SEC. Arkansas drops to 34-15 overall and 8-10 in the league.
The Tigers had the bases loaded in the first inning. Aliyah Andrews led off the inning with an infield single. Amanda Sanchez followed with a walk and an out later, Shemiah Sanchez drew a walk. But back-to-back strikeouts ended the threat.
The Tigers got on the board first in the third inning off the 63rd dinger of the year. Shelbi Sunseri singled to left to lead off the inning. Shemiah Sanchez followed with an infield single. The two advanced on a sacrifice bunt by Elyse Thornhill and scored on the first pitch of Amanda Doyle‘s at-bat as she homered to left center, her seventh dinger on the year.
LSU really kept Arkansas off balance throughout the game. Amber Serrett made a diving catch in the third inning and Sunseri did not allow a hit until the bottom of the sixth inning.
Arkansas got on the board in the sixth inning on a sacrifice fly to center, cutting the Tigers’ lead to 3-1.
The Tigers threatened again the seventh with bases loaded but a fly out to center ended the threat. LSU and Sunseri shut down the Razorbacks in the bottom half of the seventh, allowing just a walk with two outs.
Sunseri gets the win in the circle, improving to 10-5 on the year. She allowed one run off two this, while striking out five.
“I don’t think it was a great week of preparation, but I am glad we found a way to get it done today. We played a really tough Arkansas team and a touch pitching staff so it’s never going to be easy in the SEC. I think Sunseri threw a great game in the circle.”
- The Tigers have now hit 63 home runs on the year, which is the second-most home runs in a season by the Tigers. In 2014, the Tigers hit 65 dingers.
- Shemiah Sanchez is two home runs away from tying the single-season dinger record. She has 16 on the year. Bianka Bell hit 18 in 2015.
- With the win, the Tigers are now 30-5 when scoring first.
- Sunseri has now recorded a hit in the last six games.
- Shemiah Sanchez now has three three-hit games on the season. She had three hits against Georgia and Kentucky earlier this season.
- The Tigers’ 13 hits on the game is the second-most in a game this season.
- Doyle has now had three hits in four games this season.
The Tigers return home next week to play host to ULM on Tuesday at 6 p.m. CT. It’s the final midweek matchup of the season and will stream live on SEC Network+ and the WatchESPN app.
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger softball, visit www.lsusports.net/softball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsusoftball along with @lsusoftball and @BethTorina on Twitter and @lsusoftball on Instagram.