Men's Tennis Falls in Heartbreaker to Ole Miss
BATON ROUGE—The LSU tennis team fell in a heartbreaking 4-3 match to Ole Miss Friday evening in the LSU Tennis Complex.
With the win, Ole Miss improves to 16-11 on the year and 5-6 in SEC play while LSU drops to 16-9 and 3-8 in the league.
Co-Head Coach Chris Brandi on the Match
“It was a little disappointing after winning doubles. We played great doubles and had plenty of opportunities in singles. We didn’t take advantage of it. Credit to Ole Miss, who played aggressive tennis at the right times when we didn’t. That was the difference. We are going to have to regroup and get ready for the last match of the season Sunday before the SEC Tournament.”
Ole Miss tied the match on court four when Simon Junk defeated Joey Thomas, 6-3, 6-4.
The Tigers regained the lead, 2-1, when Daniel Moreno took consecutive 6-4 sets from Cotter Wilson on court six.
After dropping the first set to Reynolds on court three, 6-2, Malik Bhatnagar forced a tiebreaker but was unable to secure the second set and ultimately fell, 7-6(6), knotting the match 2-2.
Wagner nabbed the first set from Kraljevic on court two, 6-3, and fell in the second, 6-3. After trailing, 5-2, Wagner rallied for three consecutive games and forced a tiebreaker before eventually falling 7-6(1), which gave Ole Miss the 3-2 advantage.
On court three, freshman Boris Kozlov secured the first set 6-4 before dropping his second set, 6-3 to Fallert, forcing a third set. Kozlov successfully tied the match with a dominating 6-2 set to tie the match 3-3 for his 20th win of the season.
Ole Miss clinched the match on court one when No. 60 Sandkaulen defeated Monroe, 6-7(3), 7-6(5), 6-3.
The Tigers return to action in its SEC regular season finale with a match against Mississippi State Sunday at noon CT in the LSU Tennis Complex.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Ole Miss 4, LSU 3
1. #60 Tim Sandkaulen (OM) def. Shane Monroe (LSU) 6-7 (3-0), 7-6 (0-5), 6-3
2. Filip Kraljevic (OM) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (0-1)
3. #107 Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Fabian Fallert (OM) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
4. Finn Reynolds (OM) def. Malik Bhatnagar (LSU) 6-2, 7-6 (0-6)
5. Simon Junk (OM) def. Joey Thomas (LSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Daniel Moreno (LSU) def. Cotter Wilson (OM) 6-4, 6-4
1. Shane Monroe/Daniel Moreno (LSU) def. #31 Finn Reynolds/Fabian Fallert (OM) 6-4
2. #42 Rafael Wagner/Joey Thomas (LSU) def. #47 Tim Sandkaulen/Filip Kraljevic (OM) 6-3
3. Boris Kozlov/Nick Watson (LSU) vs. Simon Junk/Cotter Wilson (OM) 5-4, unfinished
Ole Miss 16-10, 6-5 SEC
LSU 16-9, 3-8 SEC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,6,4,2,3,1)
Official: Richie Weaver