Men's Tennis Sweeps Doubleheader; Beats UK, Nicholls
BATON ROUGE- The LSU men’s tennis team swept both Kentucky and Nicholls, 4-0, in a doubleheader on Saturday afternoon at the LSU Tennis Complex
With the wins, the Tigers increase to 16-8 overall and 3-7 in SEC play.
Co-Head Coach Chris Brandi on the Match
“We just went out there and handled business today. The guys did a great job after a disappointing showing at Vanderbilt. The guys said they were going to come out and play the best matches of their year, and they absolutely did. Kentucky’s a team that’s beaten some of the teams we’ve lost to. Every court was up in their match against both teams. We’re very proud of the team.”
Match 1 vs. Kentucky
After Enzo Wallart and Ying-Ze Chen knotted the match at the No. 2 doubles at 5-5, No. 39 Rafael Wagner and Joey Thomas were able to secure the next two games and finalize the doubles match, 7-5, to give the Tigers the 1-0 lead moving into singles play.
The Tigers nabbed the 2-0 lead when Malik Bhatnagar swept Bourgeois in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2 on court four.
Moreno gave LSU the 3-0 lead on court six when he defeated Theo McDonald in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6(2).
Wagner clinched the match for the Tigers with an emphatic 6-4, 6-2 straight set victory over Wallart on court two.
Match 2 vs Nicholls State
The Tigers took the doubles point with wins on courts two and three.
The duo of Bhatnagar and freshman Ruy Teixeira were the first off the doubles court, defeating Dylan Loru and Lewis Cox 6-0 on court three.
Wagner and Thomas clinched the doubles point for LSU on court two with a 6-2 victory against Nestor Giribet and Moritz Borges.
Kozlov earned the first singles point of the match at court three, sweeping Loru 6-0, 6-0, to give LSU a 2-0 lead.
Wagner extended the lead to 3-0 when he defeated Tobias Lentz in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, at court two.
Moreno clinched the match for the Purple and Gold with a 6-1, 6-1 straight set victory over Borges on court six.
LSU will return to action with a match against conference opponent Ole Miss on Friday, April 12 at 5 p.m. CT.
LSU 4, UK 0
1. Shane Monroe (LSU) vs. Ryo Matsumura (UK) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
2. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Enzo Wallart (UK) 6-4, 6-2
3. Boris Kozlov (LSU) vs. Kento Yamada (UK) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
4. Malik Bhatnagar (LSU) def. Cesar Bourgois (UK) 6-3, 6-2
5. Joey Thomas (LSU) vs. Kevin Huempfner (UK) 7-5, 3-2, unfinished
6. Daniel Moreno (LSU) def. Theo McDonald (UK) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
Kentucky 12-12 4-6 SEC
LSU 15-8 3-7 SEC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,6,2)
Official: Richie Weaver
LSU 4, Nicholls 0
1. Shane Monroe (LSU) vs. Oleksandr Podgursky (NICM) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
2. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Tobias Lentz (NICM) 6-1, 6-2
3. Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Dylan Loru (NICM) 6-0, 6-0
4. Malik Bhatnagar (LSU) vs. Néstor Giribet Lopez (NICM) 7-5, 1-1, unfinished
5. Nick Watson (LSU) vs. Eduardo Marino (NICM) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
6. Daniel Moreno (LSU) def. Moritz Borges (NICM) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,2,6)
Official: Richie Weaver