No. 15 Women's Tennis Drop Match at No. 33 Tennessee
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The No. 15 LSU women’s tennis team fell to No. 33 Tennessee, 4-0, on Sunday at the Barksdale Tennis Stadium.
The Tigers drop to 12-4 on the season and 2-2 in SEC play.
“That was a true let down after a very high level match on Friday,” co-head coach Julia Sell said. “We gave this away today and there is no excuse. We need to go home and work so that this never happens again.”
Tennessee took the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles.
Tennessee clinched the doubles point when the No. 8-ranked pair of Sadie Hammond and Kaitlin Staines defeated the No. 3-ranked duo of senior Jessica Golovin and sophomore Eden Richardson, 6-3, at the No. 1 singles.
The Lady Vols took a 2-0 lead when Rebeka Mertena defeated Kennan Johnson in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, at the No. 4 singles.
Haumeller extended the lead to 3-0 after she defeated Loughlan at the No. 6 singles by a score of 6-3, 6-4.
Staines clinched the match for Tennessee when she defeated Golovin 7-6(3), 6-2, at the No. 2 singles.
The No. 15 Tigers will return home to take on No. 18 Kentucky at 4 p.m. CT on Friday, March 15, at the LSU Tennis Complex.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#33 Tennessee 4, #15 LSU 0
1. #15 Eden Richardson (LSU) vs. #65 Sadie Hammond (UT) 7-6 (7-5), 2-3, unfinished
2. Kaitlin Staines (UT) def. Jessica Golovin (LSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
3. Johanna Silva (UT) vs. Taylor Bridges (LSU) 6-1, 4-6, unfinished
4. Rebeka Mertena (UT) def. Kennan Johnson (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Paris Corley (LSU) vs. Tenika McGiffin (UT) 6-2, 4-5, unfinished
6. Maia Haumuller (UT) def. Anna Loughlan (LSU) 6-3, 6-4
Tennessee 12-3; National ranking #33
LSU 12-4; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,6,2)