No. 20 Men's Tennis Sweeps Saturday Doubleheader
BATON ROUGE — The No. 20 LSU men’s tennis team swept a doubleheader against Southern Miss and Jackson State Saturday at the LSU Tennis Complex.
The Tigers defeated Southern Miss by a score of 7-0 and were nearly flawless in a 4-0 win against Jackson State.
With the wins, LSU improves to 11-1 on the season while Southern Miss falls to 2-4 and Jackson State drops to 2-14.
Co-Head Coach Chris Brandi on the Match
“It was good to be home finally,” co-head coach Chris Brandi said. “Southern Miss is a tough team, and they played really well in doubles. Our guys took care of business today. We had a couple of matches in the second set where it was closer than we would have liked but credit to our opponents. Our guys did a good job today.”
Match One vs. Southern Miss
It was a quick round of doubles for court two pair Shane Monroe and Daniel Moreno, who were the first off of the courts after defeating Tom Cecchetto and Mieszko Kwasniewski, 6-2.
The Tigers made it a 2-0 match when freshman Boris Kozlov swept Chun-Han Tsai, 6-2, 6-1 on court four.
Wagner recorded back-to-back 6-2 sets on court two to take a victory from Matthieu Peres and increase the LSU lead to 3-0.
Thomas clinched the match on court five with a convincing 6-4, 6-2 win against Panji Setiawan. The Tigers continued to play out the match, and freshman Nick Watson extended the LSU lead to 5-0 with a 6-4, 6-0 match against Mieszko Kwasniewski on court six.
Sophomore Malik Bhatnagar secured the Tigers’ sixth point of the match after defeating Reyes, 6-2, 7-5, on court three.
The Tigers completed the sweep on court one. It was a tight match as No. 112 Monroe won the first set, 7-5, and finished the match in a tiebreaker against Tom Cecchetto, 7-6(2).
Match Two vs. Jackson State
After playing the first match of the day on court three, Kozlov and Watson moved up to the second court. The freshman pair dominated in a 6-0 win against Thomas Torres and Fritz Jacobs.
The Tigers took the doubles point after Wagner and y Thomas swiftly defeated Andrey Alawi and Richy Gamo, 6-1.
Bhatnagar was the first off of the court and gave the Tigers the 2-0 lead after sweeping Torres, 6-0, 6-0, at the second spot.
Thomas followed with a back-to-back 6-0 sets against Fritz Jacobs on court three to put LSU up 3-0.
The Tigers clinched the match on court one when Monroe worked 6-1, 6-1 sets against Alawi, to secure the 4-0 win.
LSU will open up SEC play on the road at Alabama on Friday, March 1 at 6 p.m. CT. The Tigers will wrap up the weekend at Auburn on Sunday, March 3 at noon CT before returning home for a contest against Tennessee on March 7 at 5 p.m. CT.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU 7, Southern Miss 0
1. #112 Shane Monroe (LSU) def. Tom Cecchetto (USM) 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
2. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Matthieu Peres (USM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Malik Bhatnagar (LSU) def. Jorman Reyes (USM) 6-2, 7-5
4. Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Chung-Han Tsai (USM) 6-2, 6-1
5. Joey Thomas (LSU) def. Panji Setiawan (USM) 6-4, 6-2
6. Nick Watson (LSU) def. Mieszko Kwasniewski (USM) 6-4, 6-0
1. #45 Rafael Wagner/Joey Thomas (LSU) def. Jorman Reyes/Chung-Han Tsai (USM) 6-1
2. Shane Monroe/Daniel Moreno (LSU) def. Tom Cecchetto/Mieszko Kwasniewski (USM) 6-2
3. Boris Kozlov/Nick Watson (LSU) vs. Panji Setiawan/Matthieu Peres (USM) 4-3, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,2,6,5,1,3)
LSU 4, Jackson State 0
1. #112 Shane Monroe (LSU) def. Andrey Alawi (JACKM) 6-1, 6-1
2. Malik Bhatnagar (LSU) def. Thomas Torres (JACKM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Fritz Jacobs (JACKM) 6-0, 6-0
4. Joey Thomas (LSU) vs. Lebelo Mosehle (JACKM) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
5. Nick Watson (LSU) vs. Juan Soria (JACKM) 6-4, 0-1, unfinished
6. Daniel Moreno (LSU) vs. Richy Gamo (JACKM) 6-3, 3-1, unfinished
1. #45 Rafael Wagner/Joey Thomas (LSU) def. Andrey Alawi/Richy Gamo (JACKM) 6-1
2. Boris Kozlov/Nick Watson (LSU) def. Thomas Torres/Fritz Jacobs (JACKM) 6-0
3. Malik Bhatnagar/Ruy Teixeira (LSU) vs. Juan Soria/Lebelo Mosehle (JACKM) 5-1, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,3,1)