Men's Tennis Thrives in Win at SMU, 6-1
DALLAS — The LSU men’s tennis team captured the doubles point and used that momentum to excel in singles play capturing a 6-1 victory against Southern Methodist University at the SMU Tennis Complex Friday evening.
With the win, LSU improves to 8-1 on the season while SMU drops to 7-4 on the year.
Co-Head Coach Chris Brandi on the Match
“The guys took care of business against a scrappy team in front of a good crowd in Dallas,” co-head coach Chris Brandi said. “We had better energy in doubles today, and it carried over to singles.”
SMU pair Tomas Vaise and Jan-Simon Vrbsky worked a 6-1 win against No. 30 Rafael Wagner and Joey Thomas on court one.
However, LSU rebounded on the bottom courts to take the doubles point. On court two, Shane Monroe and Daniel Moreno were quick to defeat Carles Sarrio and Andrew Buhelos, 6-1, and freshman duo Boris Kozlov and Nick Watson clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 victory on court three against Avery Pennywell and Blaise Fagan.
LSU extended its lead to 2-0 after Kozlov defeated Vaise in a straight-set 6-2, 6-0 match on court four.
Wagner made it 3-0 Tigers with a 6-3, 6-2 win against Vrbsky on court two, and Watson followed with a 6-3, 6-2 victory of his own against Buhelos on court six to extend it to a 4-0 lead.
After quickly grabbing the first set 5-1, Thomas competed hard to earn a 7-6(1) set against Michael Smith on court five.
The highlight of the evening was on court one where Monroe recorded back-to-back 6-2 wins on court one against No. 48 Sarrio to extend LSU’s lead to 6-0.
To wrap up the match, Robert Rosales defeated Malik Bhatnagar, 7-5, 6-4.
LSU head to Tulsa on Sunday, Feb. 17 for a match at noon CT before returning home for a double header on Saturday, Feb. 23 against Southern Miss and Jackson State.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU 6, SMU 1
1. Shane Monroe (LSU) def. #48 Carles Sarrio (SMU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Jan-Simon Vrbsky (SMU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Roberto Rosales (SMU) def. Malik Bhatnagar (LSU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Boris Kozlov (LSU) def. Tomas Vaise (SMU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Joey Thomas (LSU) def. Michael Smith (SMU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Nick Watson (LSU) def. Andrew Buhelos (SMU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Tomas Vaise/Jan-Simon Vrbsky (SMU) def. #30 Rafael Wagner/Joey Thomas (LSU) 6-1
2. Shane Monroe/Daniel Moreno (LSU) def. Carles Sarrio/Andrew Buhelos (SMU) 6-2
3. Boris Kozlov/Nick Watson (LSU) def. Avery Pennywell/Blaise Fagan (SMU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,2,6,5,1,3)