Volleyball Drops Match at South Carolina
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The LSU volleyball dropped its match at South Carolina on Sunday afternoon by scores of 19-25, 22-25, 19-25. The Tigers are now 5-8 on the year and 0-2 in the SEC. South Carolina improves to 11-1 on the season and 2-0 in league play.
- The Tigers return home for two matches next week, taking on Florida at 7 p.m. Wednesday evening. LSU will face Texas A&M on Sunday in the PMAC at 1 p.m. Wednesday’s match will air on SEC Network with Sunday’s match streaming on SEC Network+.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trailing the Gamecocks 5-0, LSU worked their way back to come within two, 10-8 after a couple of South Carolina miscues.
- The Tigers forced South Carolina to take a timeout as the Tigers tied up the 13-13. But South Carolina went on a 3-0 run to push to a 18-14 lead and force the Tigers to take time.
- LSU came within three, 22-19, on a Bannister kill, but South Carolina went on to score the three final points of the set, claiming the first 25-19.
- The Tigers hit .074 to South Carolina’s .387 hitting percentage. Bannister led the Tigers with four kills, while Jacqui Armer pitched in two on the set.
- LSU opened up the second set with a 7-4 lead after back-to-back over pass kills by Whitney Foreman and Milan Stokes.
- South Carolina worked its way back and tied the set up at 8-8. The two teams went point-for-point until the media timeout when the Tigers took a 15-14 lead after a kill by Foreman.
- The Tigers forced the Gamecocks to take a timeout after scoring back-to-back points on a Gamecock attacking error and a block by Armer and Stokes, taking a 19-16 lead.
- South Carolina worked its way back to come within one, 20-19, forcing the Tigers to use its first timeout. The Gamecocks tied up the set at 22-22 and the Tigers used their second time out of the set.
- The Gamecocks scored three-straight points out of the timeout to claim the second set, 25-22. The Tigers hit .069 for the set, getting nine kills on 29 attacks. Bannister led the Tigers with three kills.
- Back-to-back kills from Stokes and Bannister put the Tigers up 7-6 in the third set, but South Carolina took a 12-9 lead after a 6-2 run. The Gamecocks pushed to a 15-11 lead into the media timeout.
- The Gamecocks went ahead 20-14 lead, forcing the Tigers to use their final timeout of the set.
- The Tigers held off the Gamecocks for three match points, but South Carolina claimed the third and final set, 25-19.
- The Tigers had their best hitting percentage of the match in the third set of .161, getting 12 kills on 31 attacks.
- Bannister’s 12 kills led the Tigers for the 13th-straight match this season. It’s her 12th match in double-digits.
- Flory’s nine digs led the Tigers and it was the first match leading the team in the dig category.
- The Tigers out-blocked the Bulldogs 6.0-5.0. Whitney Foreman led the Tigers with four blocks.
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.