Volleyball Downs Abilene Christian in Four Sets
DALLAS, Texas – The LSU volleyball team picked up their second-straight win, downing Abilene Christian in four sets on Friday afternoon by scores of 25-19, 25-27, 25-17, 25-17 in Moody Coliseum. The Tigers are now 4-6 on the year, while the Wildcats drop to 3-8.
Taylor Bannister led the attack for the 10th match in a row, finishing with a match-high 14 kills. Toni Rodriguez finished with 12 kills, while Lindsay Flory picked up her second double-double on the year of a career-high 42 assists and 11 digs. Raigen Cianciulli finished with a career-high 35 digs, the first time a Tiger had 30 or more digs in a match since Haley Smith against Auburn on Oct. 25, 2014.
- The Tigers will finish up the SMU DoubleTree Classic Saturday, playing tournament host SMU at 2 p.m. CT. Live stats will be available at LSUStats.com and the match will stream live on Pony Up TV.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tigers got out to a hot start with a 7-3 lead after a big block from Rodriguez and Jacqui Armer. That forced Abilene Christian to use its first timeout of the set.
- Rodriguez continued to be a force for the Tigers, recording four kills to bring the Tigers to a 18-13 lead.
- The Tigers pushed to a 21-15 lead after back-to-back points and finished the set on a service error by the Wildcats, claiming the set 25-19.
- Rodriguez led the Tigers in the first set with seven kills and a .500 hitting percentage. As a team, the Tigers hit .156 and held the Wildcats to a .045 hitting percentage.
- The Tigers got out to a 9-6 lead on the Wildcats after a kill from Taylor Bannister, but Abilene Christian worked its way back and tied up the set 10-10. The two teams went point-for-point until the Wildcats got out to a 16-13 lead, forcing the Tigers to take a timeout.
- The Wildcats pushed to an 18-14 lead and continued to a 21-16 lead. The Tigers took their final timeout of the set, but the Tigers used a 4-0 scoring run to come within two, 23-21. Whitney Foreman tallied a block and Lindsay Flory recorded an ace, forcing the Wildcats to a timeout.
- The Tigers came out of the timeout with a kill from Rodriguez and held off the Wildcats on set point, tying it up 24-24 on an ace from Bannister.
- A kill from Katie Kampen gave the Tigers a 25-24 lead, but the Wildcats went on a 3-0 run to take the second set, 27-25, and tied the match up 1-1.
- LSU started off the third set with a 6-3 lead after a block by Armer and Rodriguez.
- Abilene Christian tied the set up at 12-12 and the two teams went point-for-point, but the Tigers got some momentum after an ace from Flory and went on a 3-0 run to take a 18-15 lead, forcing the Wildcats to take a timeout.
- The Tigers extended that run to 6-0 after two kills by Bannister and a kill from Foreman. Three straight points ended the set in the Tigers favor, 25-17, and put them up 2-1 on the match.
- LSU hit .500 on the set with 15 kills on 30 attacks with only four errors.
- After going point-for-point with the Wildcats early in the set, the Tigers got out to a 13-9 lead after an ace from Raigen Cianciulli, forcing Abilene Christian to take a timeout.
- The Wildcats went on a 3-0 run to come within one, 15-14, of the Tigers. LSU took a timeout and came out with three-straight points, including an ace from Kampen.
- The Tigers pushed to a 21-16 lead after a kill from Rodriguez, forcing the Wildcats to a timeout. Out of the timeout, the Tigers finished the set on a 4-1 run, claiming the match with a final set score of 25-17.
- LSU hit .355 in the final set and tallied five service aces
- Bannister’s 14 kills led the Tigers for the 10th-straight match this season.
- Cianciulli’s career-high 35 digs is the 10th-straight match leading the team this season. Her dig performance is the first time an LSU player dug 30 or more balls in a match since Haley Smith in 2014.
- Flory finished with a career-high 42 assists and 11 digs, her second double-double on the year and third in her career.
- Flory finished with a career-high five aces. The last time a player had five aces in a match was Katie Kampen against Ole Miss in 2016.
- Rodriguez finished the match with a career-high seven blocks.
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.