Women's Tennis Falls to No. 24 Tulsa in First Round
STILLWATER, Okla. — The No. 34 LSU women’s tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision to No. 24 Tulsa in the first round of the NCAA Division I Women’s Tennis Championships at the Greenwood Tennis Center Friday afternoon.
The Tigers ended the season 15-11 with the loss while Tulsa improved to 22-5 and will face the winner of No. 9 Oklahoma State and UMKC in the finals of the Stillwater regional.
Tulsa got the match started by taking the doubles point after a pair of victories on courts one and three. Ksenia Laskutova and Martha Matoula upset the No. 29 pairing of Eden Richardson and Jessica Golovin to clinch the doubles point following Rouxanne Janse van Rensburg and Tamara Kupkova’s win over Luba Vasilyuk and Ashton Rabalais.
Tulsa’s lead grew to 2-0 to begin singles competition as Shura Poppe picked up a win on court six over Rabalais. Despite the early deficit, the Tigers remained resilient and took four out of six first sets.
Junior Kennan Johnson came up huge for the Tigers, rolling though Martha Matoula, 6-1, 6-3, on court four to put the first point on the board, cutting Tulsa’s lead to 2-1.
Tulsa picked up a third point as No. 80 Laskutova snapped Richardson’s 16-match win streak with a 6-1, 6-4 win on court one. The loss was just Richardson’s second of the dual season and her first since the month of January.
Vasilyuk got the Tigers back on the scoreboard with a 7-6 (7), 6-4 win over Vera Ploner on court five, trimming Tulsa’s lead to 3-2 with Ryann Foster and Golovin in the midst of their third sets on courts two and three.
Foster won the first set against No. Okalova, 6-4, but Okalova took the final two sets, 6-3, 6-2, to clinch the match. Golovin’s match went unfinished tied at 4-4 in the deciding third set.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#24 Tulsa 4, #34 LSU 2
1. #80 Ksenia Laskutova (TULSA) def. #53 Eden Richardson (LSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. #112 Martina Okalova (TULSA) def. #114 Ryann Foster (LSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. #92 Jessica Golovin (LSU) vs. Tamara Kupkova (TULSA) 7-6 (9-7), 3-6, 4-4, unfinished
4. Kennan Johnson (LSU) def. Martha Matoula (TULSA) 6-1, 6-3
5. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) def. Vera Ploner (TULSA) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
6. Shura Poppe (TULSA) def. Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Ksenia Laskutova/Martha Matoula (TULSA) def. #29 Eden Richardson/Jessica Golovin (LSU) 6-3
2. Ryann Foster/Kennan Johnson (LSU) vs. Vera Ploner/Martina Okalova (TULSA) 5-3, unfinished
3. Rouxanne Janse van Rensburg/Tamara Kupkova (TULSA) def. Luba Vasilyuk/Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 6-1
LSU 15-11, National ranking #34
Tulsa 22-5, National ranking #24
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,4,1,5,2)