Men's Tennis Sweeps New Orleans, 7-0
BATON ROUGE— The LSU men’s tennis team wrapped up the regular season by sweeping the University of New Orleans Privateers, 7-0, Friday evening at the LSU Tennis Complex.
With the win, LSU improves to 10-15 on the year while New Orleans falls to 4-13.
Co-Head Coach Chris Brandi on the Match
“It was a good match from both teams,” co-head coach Chris Brandi said. “We needed to win another dual match and gain a little confidence going into the SEC Tournament. I think the guys took care of business and were able to work on one or two things each that we think will carry over into next week.”
LSU jumped out to the quick 1-0 lead with wins on courts one and three. No. 89 Rafael Wagner and Agie Moreno shut out Alexis Guedy and Christian Fjelsted, 6-0, on the top court. Tiger tandem Stewart Block and Shane Monroe clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 win over Lorezno Camilli and Giacomo Adoncecchi on court three.
To give LSU the 2-0 lead, Julian Saborio worked quickly on court four, taking a 6-1, 6-2 match against Adoncecchi.
After a tight set one, Wagner was able to work past Johnannes Klein with an efficient second set and extended the Tigers’ advantage to 3-0 with a 6-4, 6-1 win on court two.
Nikola Samardzic clinched the match for the second-straight week after earning a 6-2, 6-4 win against Nicolas Kramer on court three.
To make it 5-0 Tigers, No. 78 Monroe swept Guedy in consecutive 6-3 sets, and Moreno edged out Camilli in back-to-back 6-4 sets on court five.
Block finalized the score at 7-0 with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 win on court six against Fjelsted.
The Tigers recognized senior Gabor Csonka between the conclusion of the doubles point and the beginning of singles play. During his time at LSU he has amassed 49 singles victories and garnered LSWA All-Louisiana Second Team honors during the 2016 season.
LSU will travel to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, for the 2018 SEC Men’s Tennis Tournament. The Tigers will take on the Commodores of Vanderbilt at noon Thursday in the second round of the tournament at the Alabama Tennis Stadium.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU 7, New Orleans 0
1. #78 Shane Monroe (LSU) def. Alexis Guedy (UNOM) 6-3, 6-3
2. Rafael Wagner (LSU) def. Johannes Klein (UNOM) 6-4, 6-1
3. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Nicolas Kramer (UNOM) 6-2, 6-4
4. Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNOM) 6-1, 6-2
5. Agie Moreno (LSU) def. Lorenzo Camilli (UNOM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Stewart Block (LSU) def. Christian Fjeldstad (UNOM) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
1. #89 Rafael Wagner/Agie Moreno (LSU) def. Alexis Guedy/Christian Fjeldstad (UNOM) 6-0
2. Nikola Samardzic/Julian Saborio (LSU) vs. Nicolas Kramer/Johannes Klein (UNOM) 3-4, unfinished
3. Stewart Block/Shane Monroe (LSU) def. Lorenzo Camilli/Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNOM) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,2,3,1,5,6)