Men's Tennis Falls to Mississippi State in SEC Finale
BATON ROUGE— The LSU men’s tennis team fell to No. 7 Mississippi State, 6-0, in the Southeastern Conference finale Sunday afternoon at the LSU Tennis Complex.
With the loss, LSU drops to 9-14 on the year and 2-10 in Southeastern Conference action while Mississippi State improves to 17-2, 11-1.
Co-Head Coach Andy Brandi on the Match
“We played a very good team today,” co-head coach Andy Brandi said. “We played a team that made us work for everything that we got, and we didn’t step up to the plate to make them work harder.”
In doubles play, the Mississippi State Bulldogs earned wins on courts one and three to take the lead moving into singles. No. 42 Nuno Borges and Strahinja Rakic defeated Agie Moreno and Rafael Wagner on court one, 6-1. After pushing the match to a 4-4 tie, Stewart Block and Shane Monroe were unable to hang on and dropped their match to Trevor Foshey and Florian Broska, 6-4.
The Bulldogs grabbed the 2-0 lead on court six after Foshey grabbed consecutive 6-1 sets from Block.
A court three win put the match favor of Mississippi State, 3-0, when Nikola Samardzic dropped a 6-3, 6-0 match to No. 78 Rakic.
Mississippi State clinched the match after Niclas Braun won back-to-back sets on court four against Julian Saborio, 6-4, 6-2.
Moreno fell to Broska on court five, 6-1, 6-3, to make it 5-0 Bulldogs. In an intense battle on court one, No. 3 Borges defeated No. 91 Monroe, 6-4, 6-2, to conclude the match.
LSU will conclude the regular season on Friday, April 20, with a home match against New Orleans at 5 p.m. CT in the LSU Tennis Complex.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#7 Mississippi State 6, LSU 0
1. #3 Nuno Borges (MS) def. #91 Shane Monroe (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Rafael Wagner (LSU) vs. #19 Giovanni Oradini (MS) 1-6, 6-5, unfinished
3. #78 Strahinja Rakic (MS) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Niclas Braun (MS) def. Julian Saborio (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Florian Broska (MS) def. Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Trevor Foshey (MS) def. Stewart Block (LSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #42 Nuno Borges/Strahinja Rakic (MS) def. Agie Moreno/Rafael Wagner (LSU) 6-1
2. Julian Saborio/Nikola Samardzic (LSU) vs. #44 Niclas Braun/Giovanni Oradini (MS) 5-6, unfinished
3. Trevor Foshey/Florian Broska (MS) def. Stewart Block/Shane Monroe (LSU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,3,4,5,1)