Golovin Improves to 16-2 in Loss to No. 28 Kentucky
LEXINGTON, Ky. — The No. 37 LSU women’s tennis team dropped its road match against the No. 28 Kentucky Wildcats by a score of 4-1 at the Boone Tennis Complex Thursday.
The Tigers fell to 13-7 (4-6 SEC) on the season with the win while Kentucky improved to 13-7 (5-5 SEC).
The Tigers took an early lead on all three doubles courts but Kentucky was able to recover and seal the doubles point with wins on courts one and two.
The Wildcats jumped out to a 3-0 lead with straight-set wins on courts six and one before Jessica Golovin put a point on the board with a 6-2, 7-6 (7) win over No. 112 Justina Mikulsktye on court two. Golovin improved to 16-2 this dual season with the win and picked up her third ranked victory of the season.
With courts three, four and five locked in tense, three-set battles, the match could have gone in either direction but Kentucky ultimately clinched the win with a 6-1, 6-7 (3), 6-4 victory on court five.
The Tigers’ next match will come against the second-ranked Vanderbilt Commodores on Saturday at 11 a.m. CT at the Currey Tennis Center.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program follow the Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#28 Kentucky 4, #37 LSU 1
1. Emily Fanning (UK) def. #121 Ryann Foster (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #82 Jessica Golovin (LSU) vs. #112 Justina Mikulskyte (UK) 6-2, 7-6 (7)
3. #96 Eden Richardson (LSU) vs. Mami Adachi (UK) 5-7, 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
4. Diana Tkachenko (UK) def. Kennan Johnson (LSU) 6-1, 6-7 (3), 6-4
5. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) vs. Lesedi Jacobs (UK) 6-3, 4-6, 2-4, unfinished
6. Brianna Tulloch (UK) def. Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Emily Fanning/Lesedi Jacobs (UK) def. #36 Eden Richardson/Jessica Golovin (LSU) 6-2
2. Mami Adachi/Justina Mikulskyte (UK) def. Ryann Foster/Kennan Johnson (LSU) 6-2
3. Brianna Tulloch/Diana Tkachenko (UK) vs. Luba Vasilyuk/Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 4-4, unfinished
LSU 13-7, 4-6 SEC; National ranking #37
Kentucky 13-7, 5-5 SEC; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,1,2,4)