Women's Tennis Blanks Tulane, Then UNO
BATON ROUGE, La. — The No. 44 LSU women’s tennis team improved to 8-2 after wins against UNO and Tulane Tuesday at the City Pepsi Tennis Center.
“We became a better team today,” head coach Julia Sell said. “We handled the windy and cold conditions like veterans. We also played more disciplined and focused than we have all year. This is the standard we have to compete with every match.
LSU defeated Tulane 7-0 and UNO 6-0. The Lady Tigers took 10 of 11 singles courts in two sets and did not drop a doubles court.
No. 29 Joana Vale Costa defeated Tulane’s Nicky Stracar 6-2, 6-1 on court one.
No. 87 Skylar Kuykendall swept court two for LSU with a 7-6 (8-6), 6-1 win over Naz Karagor and a 7-5, 6-2 win over UNO’s Anja Luethi.
Noel Scott was the lone Lady Tiger to get pushed to a third-set tiebreaker. Scott dropped the first set 3-6 but came back to take the second set 7-5. The senior won the tiebreaker 10-6 to secure the point for LSU.
Abby Owens played on court three against UNO and court four against Tulane. Owens earned the win over Marta Sans on court three and a 6-1, 6-2 win on court four over UNO.
Ella Taylor remained undefeated on courts four and five this year. Taylor earned a 6-1, 6-2 win over Tulane and a 6-1, 6-2 win over UNO.
Finally, Skylar Holloway double bageled UNO’s Yasmine Rashad on court five 6-0, 6-0. Holloway also defeated Meredith Maltby of Tulane 6-1, 6-3.
In doubles action, Vale Costa and Scott defeated Tulane’s Sade Atkinson and Naz Karagoz, 6-4.
Owens and Kuykendall, the 60th-ranked team in the country, earned 6-1 wins over UNO and Tulane.
Holloway and Amanda Atanasson also defeated UNO’s court three team 6-2.
The LSU women’s tennis team returns to action Sunday at 11 a.m. against Rice and 2 p.m. again Louisiana Monroe.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#44 LSU 7, Tulane 0
Feb 18, 2015
at New Orleans (City Park Pepsi Tennis Center)
1. #29 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. Nicky Stracar (TU) 6-2, 6-1
2. #87 Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Naz Karagoz (TU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
3. Noel Scott (LSU) def. Ipek Birol (TU) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Abby Owens (LSU) def. Vanessa Nommensen (TU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Jacqui Katz (TU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Meredith Maltby (TU)
1. Noel Scott/Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. Sade Atkinson/Naz Karagoz (TU) 6-4
2. #60 Abby Owens/Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Vanessa Nommensen/Nicky Stracar (TU) 6-1
3. Jacqui Katz/Ipek Birol (TU) vs. Skylar Holloway/Ella Taylor (LSU) 4-4, unfinished
LSU 7-2; National ranking #44
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles ()