Women's Tennis Blanks NC State, 7-0
RALEIGH, N.C. — The LSU women’s tennis team (6-2) defeated No. 69 North Carolina State, 7-0, behind strong performances on all six singles courts Sunday afternoon at the J.W. Isenhour Center.
“I think it was a great turnaround from Friday,” head coach Julia Sell said. “That was a devastating loss and they were upset. I think we used it as motivation to do better. Today we responded well in an extremely challenging environment. We played on four quick court with limited spacing. The girls came out really positive and we played well.”
The team of Skylar Kuykendall and Abby Owens improved to 3-2 on the year with a 6-2 win over North Carolina State’s Liza Fieldsend and Natlia Janowicz. After LSU dropped court three, it was all up to court one. Joana Vale Costa and Noel Scott clinched the doubles point with a 6-4 win over Sophie Nelson and Nicole Martinez.
In singles, Scott started off with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Fieldsend on court two. Owens improved to 7-0 on the year with a 6-1, 6-4 victory on court five over Martinez.
No. 87 Kuykendall clinched the match for the Lady Tigers with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Elisha Hande on court three.
No. 29 Vale Costa wrapped up the first part of the match with a 6-4, 6-4 win over No. 89 Joana Nalboraska on court one.
LSU and North Carolina State were limited to only playing four courts at a time due to the weather.
After the first four courts finished, Ella Taylor and Skylar Holloway wrapped up the sweep. Taylor dropped the first set and then took the second set. The junior remained undefeated on the year after taking the third-set tiebreaker.
Holloway won the first set 6-2. In the second set, the sophomore was pushed to the brink but ultimately won 7-6.
The Lady Tigers are set for a quick turnaround. They return to action Wednesday in New Orleans, Louisiana against Tulane at 2 p.m. and UNO at 6 p.m.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#37 LSU 7, #69 NC State 0
Feb 15, 2015
at Raleigh, N.C. (J.W. Isenhour Center)
1. #29 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. #84 Joanna Nalborska (ST) 6-4, 6-4
2. Noell Scott (LSU) def. Liza Fieldsend (ST) 6-2, 6-4
3. #87 Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Elisha Hande (ST) 6-4, 6-2
4. Abby Owens (LSU) def. Nicole Martinez (ST) 6-1, 6-4
5. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Sophie Nelson (ST) 2-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Tayla Stenta (ST) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
1. Joana Vale Costa/Noell Scott (LSU) def. Sophie Nelson/Nicole Martinez (ST) 6-4
2. #60 Abby Owens/Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Liza Fieldsend/Natalia Janowicz (ST) 6-2
3. Elisha Hande/Joanna Nalborska (ST) def. Skylar Holloway/Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-2
LSU 5-2; National ranking #37
NC State 4-0; National ranking #69
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,4,3,1,5,6)