Men's Tennis Knocked Out of SEC's by Florida
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Sophomores Boris Arias and Andrew Korinek nearly helped LSU take the doubles point from Florida, but the duo fell in a tiebreaker and the LSU men’s tennis team’s SEC tournament run ended in a 4-0 quarterfinal loss to the No. 15 Gators on Friday in Nashville.
“It was a super doubles point that came to a tiebreaker on court three,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “It was a great level at three, and Florida was just too solid in the breaker. The momentum was too tough to overcome after having played two emotional matches in the last two days. Florida did a good job of limiting our opportunities.”
In doubles, junior Chris Simpson and sophomore Justin Butsch dominated Florida’s Elliot Orkin and Maxx Lipman 8-1 on court two. No. 62 sophomore Tam Trinh and redshirt freshman Eric Perez fell 8-6 in a close match on court one to the No. 29 doubles team of Florent Diep and Gordon Watson.
The doubles point went down to the match on court three. Arias and Korinek came back from down 2-1 to lead 5-4, but ultimately fell 7-4 in the tiebreaker to lose to match 8-7.
In singles, Arias fell 6-3, 6-1 to No. 99 Watson on court two, and the Gators took a 2-0 lead in the match. No. 84 Simpson then fell 6-4, 6-2 to No. 70 Diep 6-4, 6-2, which put Florida ahead 3-0.
Diego Hidalgo clinched the match for Florida with a 6-3, 7-6(5) win over sophomore Korinek on court four. Butsch led 2-0 in the third set before the match was clinched.
The Tigers finish the tournament with a 14-14 overall record on the season.
LSU awaits the decision of the NCAA for the National Tournament selections. The Selection Committee will announce its decisions on Tuesday, April 29 at 4 p.m. CT.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU vs Florida
Apr 18, 2014 at Nashville, Tenn. (Currey Tennis Center)
#15 Florida 4, #55 LSU 0
1. #70 Florent Diep (UF) def. #84 Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #99 Gordon Watson (UF) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Maxx Lipman (UF) vs. Justin Butsch (LSU) 4-6, 6-2, 0-2, unfinished
4. Diego Hidalgo (UF) def. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Elliot Orkin (UF) vs. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 0-6, 6-1, 4-3, unfinished
6. Mike Alford (UF) vs. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
1. #29 Florent Diep/Gordon Watson (UF) def. #62 Tam Trinh/Eric Perez (LSU) 8-6
2. Justin Butsch/Chris Simpson (LSU) def. Elliot Orkin/Maxx Lipman (UF) 8-1
3. Diego Hidalgo/Mike Alford (UF) def. Andrew Korinek/Boris Arias (LSU) 8-7 (7-4)
LSU 14-14, 2-10 SEC; National ranking #55
Florida 14-8, 8-4 SEC; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,1,4)
2014 SEC Men’s Tennis Tournament Quarterfinal Match – No. 4 seed vs. No. 13 seed Official: Anthony Montero