Georgia Edges Doubles, Takes Men's Tennis Match
ATHENS, Ga. – Sophomore Tam Trinh, redshirt freshman Eric Perez and the LSU men’s tennis team nearly took the doubles point from No. 8 Georgia, but Trinh and Perez fell 8-7 and the Tigers ultimately fell 4-0 to the Bulldogs on Sunday afternoon at Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
“It was a good match from the beginning,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “After a battle that went on for an hour and a half, we had some nice starts in singles. Georgia was too strong in enough positions to get to 4. The doubles point was a big difference.”
In doubles, all three courts had close matches, and both courts one and two went into tiebreakers. The doubles point came down to court one with sophomore Tam Trinh and redshirt freshman Eric Perez. Trinh and Perez ultimately fell 8-7 with a 7-5 tiebreaker.
In singles, Georgia (14-6, 9-1 SEC) used the momentum gained by the doubles point. Junior Chris Simpson fell first on court one against No. 18 Austin Smith 6-2, 6-3. Redshirt freshman John Michael Busch fell 6-2, 6-2 to Hernus Pieters on court six to give UGA a 3-0 lead. No. 117 Nick Wood clinched the match for Georgia on court five with a 6-3, 6-3 win over sophomore Harrison Kennedy.
LSU (11-12, 2-9 SEC) returns to action on Wednesday afternoon when it travels to Tulane for a 3 p.m. match. The Tigers’ final SEC match is Saturday, April 12 at Arkansas.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
#8 Georgia 4, #54 LSU 0
April 6, 2014 at Athens, Ga.
1. #18 Austin Smith (UGA) def. #77 Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #39 Nathan Pasha (UGA) vs. Justin Butsch (LSU) 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
3. #75 Garrett Brasseaux (UGA) vs. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-4, 4-5, unfinished
4. #72 Ben Wagland (UGA) vs. Tam Trinh (LSU) 7-6 (7-2), 4-4, unfinished
5. #117 Nick Wood (UGA) def. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. John Michael Busch (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Hernus Pieters/Ben Wagland (UGA) def. #70 Eric Perez/Tam Trinh (LSU) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Garrett Brasseaux/Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Justin Butsch/Chris Simpson (LSU) 8-7 (7-4)
3. Harrison Kennedy/Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. Eric Diaz/Austin Smith (UGA) 8-6
LSU 11-12 (2-9); National ranking #54
Georgia 14-6 (9-1); National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,6,5)
Official: Clark Weaver T-3:21 A-652