Women's Tennis Edged by Tennessee, 4-3
BATON ROUGE – Skylar Holloway increased her win streak to four matches as the No. 54 LSU women’s tennis team fell, 4-3, to No. 45 Tennessee on a warm Friday afternoon.
“Today’s match was as close as can be,” said LSU head coach Julia S. Sell. “It came down to a few points on every court, even the courts that we won. It was a battle every game. We fought hard. We gave it all we had. I’m proud of the way we competed.”
The Lady Tigers are now 10-11 (2-9 SEC), while Tennessee improves to 10-10 (4-6 SEC).
Holloway garnered another come-from-behind singles victory on court six as she defeated Victoria Olivarez 6-3, 6-3 to capture LSU’s first point of the match.
“Skylar [Holloway] has just improved week-by-week,” said Sell. “Playing down at six, she has won a lot of matches and she is gaining a lot of confidence. That confidence is what’s helping her the most as we go deeper into the season.”
The Lady Tigers battled hard, but ultimately Tennessee took the doubles point. Noel Scott and Ariel Morton, playing on court one, could not overcome the 75th-ranked duo of Caitlyn Williams and Joanna Henderson, dropping an 8-2 decision.
In singles, Joana Vale Costa fell to No. 94 Eve Repic 6-3, 6-2 on court one.
On court three, Abigail Owens helped the Lady Tigers tie the match at 2-2 as she topped Joanna Henderson 6-1, 6-3.
With the score knotted at 3-3, all eyes fell to court two. The Lady Tigers were down a set, but LSU’s Scott was not ready to give up. She battled hard, but ultimately fell to Caitlyn William’s 7-6 (5), 6-2 as the Lady Vols clinched the match.
LSU takes the court again on Sunday as they square off against No. 2 Georgia at 11 a.m. CT in W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#45 Tennessee 4, #54 LSU 3
W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium at Baton Rouge, La.
Apr 04, 2014
1. #94 Eve Repic (TENNW) def. #88 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Caitlyn Williams (TENNW) def. Noel Scott (LSU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
3. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Joanna Henderson (TENNW) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Laurence Guevremont (TENNW) 6-2, 6-1
5. Brittany Lindl (TENNW) def. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
6. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Victoria Olivarez (TENNW) 6-3, 6-3
1. #75 Caitlyn Williams/Joanna Henderson (TENNW) def. Noel Scott/Ariel Morton (LSU) 8-2
2. Eve Repic/Laurence Guevremont (TENNW) def. Joana Vale Costa/Skylar Holloway (LSU) 7-6
3. Brittany Lindl/Victoria Olivarez (TENNW) def. Abigail Owens/Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 8-6