Butsch Clinches Men's Tennis Win at Ole Miss
OXFORD, Miss. – Freshman Justin Butsch clinched LSU’s first SEC win, a 4-1 victory, over No. 45 Ole Miss with a 6-4, 7-5 victory on court four at Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon.
“It’s a good win for these guys after we’ve had tough, close and disappointing losses,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “But they stayed with it and kept their attitudes right. They were rewarded today. It’s important that they get some satisfaction. It was a gratifying win today at Ole Miss, which is a very difficult place to play.”
LSU (10-9, 1-6 SEC) got on the scoreboard first with an exciting doubles point. Butsch and junior Chris Simpson won 8-5 on court two and LSU clinched the doubles point with sophomores Boris Arias and Harrison Kennedy‘s 8-7 victory on court three.
In singles, Arias put LSU up 2-0 with a 6-2, 7-6 win on court two. This win is Arias’ second consecutive SEC win. Sophomore Andrew Korinek gave LSU a 3-0 lead with a 6-4, 6-2 win on court four, which is Korinek’s first SEC win of the season. No. 62 Simpson fell 6-3, 6-3 to No. 44 Nik Scholtz on court one which allowed Ole Miss to pull within 3-1 before Butsch clinched the match.
LSU returns to action on Friday when it hosts No. 48 South Carolina at 3 p.m. and No. 16 Florida on Sunday at 1 p.m. The tennis team also will hold a reunion presentation of past lettermen at the South Carolina match.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
March 23, 2014 at Oxford, Miss.
(Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center)
LSU 4, #45 Ole Miss 1
1. #44 Nik Scholtz (OM) def. #62 Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Boris Arias (LSU) def. William Kallberg (OM) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Stefan Lindmark (OM) 6-4, 7-5
4. Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. Johan Backstrom (OM) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ricardo Jorge (OM) vs. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-1, 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
6. Vinod Gowda (OM) vs. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 6-7 (6-8), 4-1, unfinished
1. Ricardo Jorge/Nik Scholtz (OM) vs. Tam Trinh/Andrew Korinek (LSU) 7-7, unfinished
2. Chris Simpson/Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Stefan Lindmark/Zach Wilder (OM) 8-5
3. Boris Arias/Harrison Kennedy (LSU) def. Joe Rogers/Johan Backstrom (OM) 8-7 (7-5)
LSU 10-9, 1-6
Ole Miss 5-9, 3-5; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,4,1,3)