Lady Tigers Win Seven Matches at Atlanta Classic
ATLANTA – The LSU women’s tennis team notched five singles victories and two wins in doubles Friday during the opening day of the Atlanta Classic in Atlanta, Ga.
The Lady Tigers opened competition in doubles against Columbia as junior transfer Noel Scott and newcomer Abigail Owens took an 8-4 victory over Columbia’s Bianca Sanon and Vivian Cheng. The Mary Jeremiah and Gabrielle Otero duo followed with an 8-6 loss to the Lions’ Crystal Leung and Ioana Alecsiu.
LSU came out charging in singles against Georgia State, as junior Jeremiah took a quick 6-2, 6-2 victory over the Panthers’ Tarani Kamoe before Owens defeated Georgia State’s Linn Timmerman 6-4, 6-4. Freshman Otero followed with a 6-1, 6-3 triumph over Marcia Tere-Apisah.
Scott faced the Lady Tigers’ first singles loss of the day as she fell 6-2, 6-4 to 37th-ranked Abigail Tere-Apisah, and Holloway followed with a 6-1, 7-5 loss to Georgia State’s Chaimaa Roudami.
Sophomore Ella Taylor and Morton wrapped up singles with two more victories for LSU, as Taylor marked a third-set win against the Panthers’ Masa Grgan with a 6-4, 5-7, 6-3 score, and Morton took a 7-5, 6-4 triumph over Georgia State’s Maryna Kozachenko.
The Lady Tigers battled Georgia Tech in doubles for the day’s final round of competition. Scott and Owens fell 8-2 to the duo of Kendal Woodard and Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer, and Jeremiah and Owens finished the day with 8-6 win over Rasheeda McAdoo and Muriel Wacker.
“With so many new faces to our roster this year, it was great to have a full day of highly competitive matches,” LSU head coach Julia S. Sell said. “I thought we did a good job of competing and adjusting as the day went on.”
LSU will continue competition Saturday with a round of doubles against Georgia State at 2 p.m. CT, before the Lady Tigers take on Columbia in singles at 3 p.m. CT.
For the latest information on the women’s tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @LSUwten and @LSUJuliaSell and on www.Facebook.com/LSUwten.
2013 Atlanta Classic
September 27, 2013
Day 1 Doubles
LSU vs. Columbia
1. Noel Scott/Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Bianca Sanon/Vivian Cheng (Columbia) 8-4
2. Crystal Leung/Ioana Alecsiu (Columbia) def. Mary Jeremiah/Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 8-6
3. Laura Wiley/Tiana Takenaga def. Skylar Holloway/Ariel Morton (LSU) 9-8 (7-4)
Day 1 Singles
LSU vs. Georgia State
1. No. 37 Abigail Tere-Apisah (GSU) def. Noel Scott (LSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Masa Grgan (GSU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
3. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) def. Marcia Tere-Apisah (GSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Linn Timmerman (GSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) def. Tarani Kamoe (GSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Chaimaa Roudami (GSU) def. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 6-1, 7-5
7. Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Maryna Kozachenko (GSU) 7-5, 6-4
LSU vs. Georgia State 2:00 p.m. CT
LSU vs. Columbia 3:00 p.m. CT
LSU vs. Georgia Tech 8:00 a.m. CT