Men's Tennis Edges USF in Home Finale
BATON ROUGE – The LSU men’s tennis team put together a doubles point and tallied three singles wins on Tuesday to lift the Tigers over the South Florida Bulls, 4-3, in W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium.
LSU duo Neal Skupski and Sebastian Carlsson notched the first win for the Tigers with a victory over Thomas Estrada and Jamal Adderly, 8-4. The Tiger tandem has produced a 4-2 record in dual action and debuted in Tuesday’s ITA rankings at No. 43.
Julien Gauthier and Mark Bowtell clinched the doubles point for LSU when they slid past Mark Oljaca and Juan Acuna, 8-6, on court No. 3.
LSU carried the momentum into singles and took court two for the first win in singles.
At the No. 2 spot, Bowtell won his third-straight match after defeating Jamal Adderly, 6-1, 7-5.
South Florida took its first match on court five when Tiger freshman Stefan Szacinski fell to Oljaca, 6-3, 6-2.
The top court was the next to finish action, but the Bulls managed to take the point after Skupski dropped his match to Wael Kilani, 7-6 (8-6), 6-3, for South Florida to tie LSU at 2-2.
Court six finished fourth when LSU’s Cody Loup lost a three-set battle with Yannick Yoshizawa, 2-6, 7-6, 6-3.
LSU trailed 2-3 with two matches in progress as Carlsson and Julien Gauthier each pushed his match into a third set.
Carlsson owned a 4-1 advantage over USF’s Peter Frank and Gauthier held a 1-1 mark with Romain Deridder as each player battled for not only his court, but the fate of the overall match.
Carlsson was the first to finish, and the Uppsala, Sweden notched his second-straight three-set win, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, to push his record on court three to 5-1.
Gauthier was one point away from clinching the match for the Tigers at 5-2 against Deridder, but Deridder fought back to tie at 5-5. With the overall match hanging in the balance, Gauthier took the next two points to earn a victory for the Tigers in their final home match of the season.
LSU’s final match of the dual season will be on April 17 at 1 p.m. CT in Fayetteville, Ark. against the Razorbacks.
#55 LSU 4, South Florida 3
April 13, 2010
Baton Rouge, La.
W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium
1. #101 Wael Kilani (USF) def. #51 Neal Skupski (LSU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
2. Mark Bowtell (LSU) def. Jamal Adderly (USF) 6-1, 7-5
3. Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) def. Peter Frank (USF) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
4. Julien Gauthier (LSU) def. Romain Deridder (USF) 6-7 (2-7), 7-5, 7-5
5. Mark Oljaca (USF) def. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Yannick Yoshizawa (USF) def. Cody Loup (LSU) 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
1. #43 Neal Skupski/Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) def. Thomas Estrada/Jamal Adderly (USF) 8-4
2. Wael Kilani/Yannick Yoshizawa (USF) def. Stefan Szacinski/Olivier Borsos (LSU) 8-5
3. Mark Bowtell/Julien Gauthier (LSU) def. Mark Oljaca/Juan Carlos Gerard (USF) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,5,1,6,3,4)