Men's Tennis Falls Short Against Kentucky
BATON ROUGE – The LSU men’s tennis team fell, 5-2, to Kentucky on Friday in W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium despite a fight to the finish against the 11th-ranked Wildcats.
LSU duo Neal Skupski and Sebastian Carlsson kicked competition off for the Tigers with a win on court No. 1 over Kentucky’s 13th-ranked tandem Eric Quigley and Brad Cox, 8-5, to push their record to 2-2 against nationally-ranked opponents.
After Skupski and Carlsson’s victory, LSU duo David Roberts and Roger Anderson fell on court No. 3, 8-5, to Alex Musialek and Anthony Rossi.
The early lead decision fell to court No. 2, and despite strong doubles performances on each court, the Tigers failed to capture the doubles point when Mark Bowtell and Stefan Szacinski fell by a slim 9-7 margin to Kentucky pair Alex Lambropoulos and Alberto Gonzalez.
The Tigers rallied in singles to produce the first win as Sebastian Carlsson cruised to a 6-4, 6-2 win over Brad Cox at the No. 3 spot.
Kentucky retaliated by taking the next four courts and clinching the match, 4-1.
After the clinch, LSU junior Julien Gauthier tallied the Tigers’ second win. Gauthier dropped the first set, 2-6, but the Repentigny, Canada, native fought through the second set, 7-6 (7-5), to win by retirement over Anthony Rossi.
Freshman James Turbervill fell on court No. 6, 7-5, 7-6 (8-6), to complete the match with a 5-2 final mark.
“Neal and Sebastian did a good job of getting the doubles point started for us, but we weren’t able to capitalize on the other two courts,” LSU head coach Jeff Brown said. “Kentucky made us pay for that with some straight-set wins on courts one, two and six, which was good enough for them to get the win. Sebastian played well in singles, and Julien really fought through as well.”
LSU (5-13, 2-7 SEC) has two home matches remaining in the 2010 season. The Tigers take on Vanderbilt Sunday at noon CT and complete their home schedule against South Florida on Tuesday at 3 p.m. Admission to all home tennis matches is free.
#11 Kentucky 5, #51 LSU 2
April 9, 2010
Baton Rouge, La.
W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium
1. #13 Eric Quigley (UK) def. #34 Neal Skupski (LSU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
2. #44 Alex Musialek (UK) def. Mark Bowtell (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) def. Brad Cox (UK) 6-4, 6-2
4. Julien Gauthier (LSU) def. Anthony Rossi (UK) 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 1-1, retired
5. Alberto Gonzalez (UK) def. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Graeme Dyce (UK) def. James Turbervill (LSU) 7-5, 7-6 (8-6)
1. Sebastian Carlsson/Neal Skupski (LSU) def. #13 Eric Quigley/Brad Cox (UK) 8-5
2. Alex Lambropoulos/Alberto Gonzalez (UK) def. Mark Bowtell/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 9-7
3. Alex Musialek/Anthony Rossi (UK) def. David Roberts/Roger Anderson (LSU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,2,1,5,4,6)