Men's Tennis Falls at Auburn, 5-2
AUBURN, Ala. – Despite a strong start after claiming the doubles point, the LSU men’s tennis team fell, 5-2, to 45th-ranked Auburn on Sunday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
“It was good to see the effort in doubles today,” LSU head coach Jeff Brown said. “In singles, we played well in a few sets, but Auburn jumped on us. It will be good to get back home for the match against Kentucky.”
LSU’s Mark Bowtell and Stefan Szacinski kicked off doubles with a decisive 8-2 victory on court No. 2 against Auburn’s Tim Hewitt and Lucas Lopasso. After Tiger duo Sebastian Carlsson and Neal Skupski fell on court No. 1, the early-point decision rested on court No. 3 where Julien Gauthier and David Roberts earned an 8-6 mark against Nick Maurillo and Michael Monteiro to put LSU on the board.
In singles, freshman James Turbervill was the lone Tiger to notch a victory as he rebounded after dropping the first set to Nick Maurillo, 5-7, 6-2, 6-3, and pushed his record to 6-5 in dual action.
Skupski, ranked No. 31 in singles, also pushed his match into a third set before falling to 10th-ranked Tim Puetz, 7-5, 3-6, 6-1.
Beginning April 9, LSU kicks off its final home slate with top-10 SEC opponent Kentucky at 3 p.m. in W. T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium. Following the match with Kentucky, LSU takes on Vanderbilt April 11 and concludes the home season with a match against South Florida on April 13.
#45 Auburn 5, #46 LSU 2
April 4, 2010
Yarbrough Tennis Center
1. #10 Tim Puetz (AU) def. #34 Neal Skupski (LSU) 7‐5, 3‐6, 6‐1
2. Tim Hewitt (AU) def. Mark Bowtell (LSU) 6‐2, 7‐6 (9‐7)
3. #107 Alex Stamchev (AU) def. Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) 6‐4, 6‐3
4. Lucas Lopasso (AU) def. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 7‐6 (7‐2), 7‐5
5. Oliver Strecker (AU) def. Julien Gauthier (LSU) 7‐5, 7‐5
6. James Turbervil (LSU) def. Nick Maurillo (AU) 5‐7, 6‐2, 6‐3
1. #10 Tim Puetz/Alex Stamchev (AU) def. Sebastian Carlsson/Neal Skupski (LSU) 8‐2
2. Mark Bowtell/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) def. Tim Hewitt/Lucas Lopasso (AU) 8‐2
3. Julien Gauthier/David Roberts (LSU) def. Nick Maurillo/Michel Monteiro (AU) 8‐6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,2,3,1,4,6)