Lady Tigers Tennis Completes Weekend Sweep
BATON ROUGE – The LSU women’s tennis team swept Southeastern Conference play this weekend as it took a 5-2 decision to Auburn Sunday at W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium.
“I’m really, really proud of this team. We lost, 4-0, to Auburn four months ago, so we’ve really improved,” said head coach Tony Minnis. “We’re playing at a whole different level and intensity. I’m proud of all of the girls, and they’re doing a great job.”
Finishing first in doubles, Hannah Robinson and Kaitlin Burns fell to Myrthe Molenveld and Paulina Schippers 8-2 on court two. On court one, Whitney Wolf and Keri Frankenberger knocked off Auburn’s top duo Fani Chifchieva and Jil Hastenrath 8-4. Auburn’s Plamena Kurteva and Caroline Thornton beat Nicole Kantor and Kylie Adamek in a close 8-6 match to clinch the doubles point.
In singles, Robinson finished first on court six as she cruised past Schippers 6-2, 6-1. On court one, Wolf fell short to No. 54 Chifchieva 6-3, 6-1 as the match gave Auburn a 2-1 advantage.
Lady Tiger Frankenberger raced past Hastenrath 6-2, 6-3 on court four as the freshman extended her record to 11-6 on the season with a 5-2 SEC record. With the score knotted at, 2-2, Wilson defeated Thornton on court five to give the Lady Tigers a 3-2 edge.
Auburn’s (8-8, 2-6 SEC) Daniela Vukadinovic gave Burns quite a test on court two as the two battled out the match in three sets. Burns took the first set 6-3 but dropped the next set 6-3. In the third set, the Wilmington, N.C., native was down 4-2 but rallied back to clinch the overall match in the third set 6-4.
On court three, Kantor gave great effort in her win over Molenveld 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 as the Lady Tiger provided the final point of the match.
LSU improved to 8-12 on the season with a 3-5 record in the SEC.
The Lady Tigers will take the courts again Friday in Lexington, Ky., as they face Kentucky at 11 a.m. CT.
LSU 5, #50 Auburn 2
April 4, 2010 at Baton Rouge, La.
(W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium)
1. #54 Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. Whitney Wolf (LSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
3. Nicole Kantor (LSU) def. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
4. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Jil Hastenrath (AU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Hannah Robinson (LSU) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Whitney Wolf/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Fani Chifchieva/Jil Hastenrath (AU) 8-4
2. Myrthe Molenveld/Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Hannah Robinson/Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 8-2
3. Plamena Kurteva/Caroline Thornton (AU) def. Nicole Kantor/Kylie Adamek (LSU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,4,5,2,3)
Auburn 8-8 (2-6 SEC); National ranking #50
LSU 8-12 (3-5 SEC)