Men's Tennis Drops Match at Alabama, 4-3
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The LSU men’s tennis team fell to Alabama in a four-hour fight on Friday at the UA Varsity Courts by a close 4-3 mark.
“Alabama played well today,” LSU head coach Jeff Brown said. “There was a point here or there that could have gone either way.”
LSU (5-11, 2-5 SEC) rallied in singles after losing the early doubles point, but it was not enough to fend off the Crimson Tide.
Junior Sebastian Carlsson kicked off singles with a straight-set win for the Tigers on court No. 3 over Jarryd Botha, 6-4, 6-4, to improve his record to 2-0 at the third spot.
Sophomore Julien Gauthier fell on court No. 5 to Houssam Yassine, 7-5, 6-3, but Mark Bowtell pulled LSU even with Alabama at 2-all after he overcame Ricky Doverspike, 7-5, 3-6, 6-3. The win is the first-ever for Bowtell at court No. 2 with the County Wicklow, Ireland, native working his way up the lineup from the No. 5 slot earlier in the dual season.
Following Bowtell’s victory, both Cody Loup and Neal Skupski each fell in a three-set standoff with his respective opponent, and Alabama clinched the match, 4-2.
Freshman Stefan Szacinski tallied a victory after the clinch when he took the first set against Michael Thompson, 6-3. Szacinski fell by a narrow 7-6 margin in the second set before his opponent retired to push Szacinski’s record to 2-4 on court No. 4.
“That match was heartbreaker,” Brown said. “We fought hard. We put ourselves in a tough spot, but we kept fighting. Mark and Sebastian helped put us in a better spot, and Stefan did well after the clinch.”
The Tigers continue their Southeastern Conference trek in Auburn, Ala. on Sunday in a match slated for 1 p.m. CT against No. 45 Auburn at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
#33 Alabama 4, #46 LSU 3
April 2, 2010
University of Alabama Tennis Stadium
1. #31 Saketh Myneni (UA) def. #34 Neal Skupski (LSU) 5-7, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
2. Mark Bowtell (LSU) def. Ricky Doverspike (UA) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
3. Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) def. Jarryd Botha (UA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) def. Michael Thompson (UA) 6-3, 6-7 (8-10), retired
5. Houssam Yassine (UA) def. Julien Gauthier (LSU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Ian Chadwell (UA) def. Cody Loup (LSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
1. #64 Saketh Myneni/Michael Davis (UA) def. Neal Skupski/Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) 9-7
2. Ricky Doverspike/Michael Thompson (UA) def. Mark Bowtell/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 8-5
3. Jarryd Botha/Trey Walston (UA) def. David Roberts/Julien Gauthier (LSU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,5,2,6,1,4)