Women's Tennis Falls in Second Round to No. 7 UCLA
Communications Student Assistant
“Really proud of this team for their continued determination all season,” co-head coach Michael Sell said. “We played them very close but credit to UCLA who rose their level at critical times. We will miss our departing seniors as they were tremendous Tigers! The future of this program is very bright and now we will focus on getting Eden and Jessica ready for individuals.”
Gabby Andrews earned the first singles point after defeating sophomore Luba Vasilyuk by a score of 6-2, 6-0, at the No. 6 singles.
No. 32-ranked Bolton extended the lead to 3-0 after defeating No. 60-ranked senior Jessica Golovin at the No. 2, 6-2, 6-3.
The Bruins clinched the match when No. 45 Hart defeated No. 12-ranked sophomore Eden Richardson 6-4, 6-3, at the No. 1.
The NCAA Division I Women’s Individual Championships take place May 20-25 at the USTA National Campus in Orlando Florida. LSU will be represented by Richardson in the singles bracket, and the defending NCAA national champion pair of Richardson and Golovin in the doubles bracket.
1. #45 Jada Hart (UCLA) def. #12 Eden Richardson (LSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. #32 Elysia Bolton (UCLA) def. #60 Jessica Golovin (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ayan Broomfield (UCLA) vs. Taylor Bridges (LSU) 3-6, 6-3, unfinished
4. Alaina Miller (UCLA) vs. Paris Corley (LSU) 7-6 (7-5), 4-2, unfinished
5. #120 Abi Altick (UCLA) vs. Anna Loughlan (LSU) 6-4, 1-5, unfinished
6. Gabby Andrews (UCLA) def. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) 6-2, 6-0
LSU 17-12; National ranking #28
UCLA 20-7; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,2,1)